puerto viejo costa rica


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

In puerto viejo, CR now. Just got back from David, panama. been there once before. it's pretty hot there, but lots of cheap shopping and that parque central is super nice. panama is so much cheaper than costa rica its stupid. things in cr are more expensive than the usa these days. meals in panama are $2-$3 hotels are less than $20. If you ask me, the people are nicer and more accomodating too. You'll need a little more spanish in most places but not mucho.
By far the best thing done in david was go to the cockfights. It's like the national pastime down there. there were fights every fri, sat, sun. All attendees (200+) were super friendly and being the only gringos in the place we were given VIP treatment all the way. (free admission, people telling us stuff, access to the birds, etc) People were shouting, waving their money, getting their bets in, (I won $10!) and when the birds hit the ground it was on. The atmosphere was incredible, and beers were 65 cents. You can say what you want about the ethical treatment of animals, but i eat chicken and i don't have a problem with seeing them fight. the owners truly care for their birds. I witnessed the owner of one loser giving his bird mouth to mouth resucitation in the hope that he might live to fight another day.
I would recommend the fights to anyone. It's totally safe and If you truly want to experience panamanian culture, the cockfights are tough to beat. on the way home at 2:45 am; packed in the taxi with my friend and 4 local bird handlers, the rooster under the arm of the guy on my right was pecking me in the chest all the way back to the city. Apparently that cock was special and couldn't ride in the box with the other ones. Needless to say, this was a night to remember. I also didn't mention that the aforementioned taxi ride was after being hit on by a transgendered shemale cruising for some post cockfight action. Wow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb