Panamanian Independance - El Dia de los Patrios


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » Boquete
November 30th 2015
Published: December 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Dia de los Patrios




In 1538 the Spanish invaders did not control much of Panama. This was due to the resistance of "Los Indios de Guerra" (War Indians), who refused to be missionized, conquered, or enslaved. On November 10, 1882 the residents of Azuero declaired their independance from Spain without the backing of the central govenment in Panama City. The Grito de La Villa de Los Santos (Cry From the Town of Saints), sparked existing separatist sentiment and brought the Spanish occupation to an end.

For the first eighty years following Spanish occupation, Panama was a department of Columbia. Panamanian's began to resist the Columbian Government. In 1831 a thousand days war was fought. When Columbia rejected a treaty that would end the war, the United States began to give Panama support.

By 1903, a new treaty with the United States guaranteed Panamanian Independence, but it came with a price. The US was given a large territory to build The Panama Canal, and the rights to control it and protect it, forever. Other occupations have taken place here since. The end of November is a tribute to all Panamanian people which have never fled from invaders no matter great.
These performers continued all day and into the night in the presence of The President of Panama

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EF3Q7yeUQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXh6zO5rEQ


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb