Rainy Days in Paradise


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Local BoatLocal BoatLocal Boat

These are carved in one piece from local cedar or laurel trees. They can last for 30 years. Up til about 3 years ago, they were the main boat here, but now all the tours and water taxis use fiberglass boats. Most of the big trees are gone, so few of these are being made now...
Wednesday we took a boat trip to the mainland and visited friends' property there and then went snorkeling. Unfortunately, we hit a big rainstorm even though we'd waited for couple of hours for it to pass...it's warm enough here, even in the rain, for getting soaked to be an OK experience!

Their property is beautiful...off the grid and waterfront backing up to jungle covered hills.

The snorkeling was great again. We saw a small white and grey ray, three squid, and many fish and much coral.

Thursday morning was even rainier...so we spent time reading and on the internet, taking care of hotel reservations, school stuff (for Lynn), and of course, the travelblog!

In the afternoon when the rain stopped, we took a water taxi to the nearby island of Bastimentos. We ate lunch at Roots, a good restaurant built over the water, and then went to look up the man who was going to take us out in his boat the next day. The village has a paved sidewalk running through it, with houses on both sides. There chickens, dogs and kids everywhere. People speak the Caribe dialect rather than Spanish (it's similar to Caye Caulker in this way). We found Roberto's house and made arrangements to visit an indigenous village and snorkel the next day. We then walked up to the top of the hill overlooking the village, where the cementary is located. We had hoped to hike to a beach on the other side, but were warned it was too muddy after the rains.

On Friday as planned, we hired a boat to take us to a small indigenous village on a more remote island and then on to more snorkeling..our last time! When we arrived at the island, we were greeted by a group of children. I bought a few bracelets from a local woman, and then we visited the school. There are about 150 people in the area and there are 50 children from kindergarten to fifth grade! I met with one of the two teachers, saw a classroom, listened to the children name some parts of the face in English, and do multiplication. Panama now has two official languages: Spanish and English. The kids start out in Spanish and then learn more English in about 4th grade. These children also speak their native language besides!

When we got back from the trip, we visited the Smithsonian Institute here on the island, where the focus of research is coral reefs. They give tours on Fridays.

Tomorrow we fly to Panama City for a few days, and then home..


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Our boat driver, LivingstonOur boat driver, Livingston
Our boat driver, Livingston

He grew up here in the islands, and worked for United Fruit for more than 30 years. Because of the downturn in the banana market, he only has work occasionally now, and does boat tours to earn a living. He said he was one of the first three men to start giving boat tours in 1994.
Village of BasitmentosVillage of Basitmentos
Village of Basitmentos

We went to lunch here..it's about 20 minutes from Bocas Town by boat
Village of BastimentosVillage of Bastimentos
Village of Bastimentos

At lunch at Roots
Village of BastimentosVillage of Bastimentos
Village of Bastimentos

Main Street...lots of chickens and dogs and kids....
Village of BastimentosVillage of Bastimentos
Village of Bastimentos

The cemetery above the town
Village of BastimentosVillage of Bastimentos
Village of Bastimentos

One of the famous red frogs! The frogs are different colors in different places here because of what they eat. The red ones eat red ants.
View from the Village of Isla PopaView from the Village of Isla Popa
View from the Village of Isla Popa

This is where we visited the school.
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

Arriving..
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

The school
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

The teacher and some of the kids...They were in the middle of cleaning the school grounds. The entire village appeared to be litter free, a contrast with the garbage everywhere in Bocas Town.
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

The teacher is on the left and our guide on the right...the guide was actually doing the teaching..he teaches in his church, he said, when I commended on his style....
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

The classroom
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

The village phone..there is a communications tower with solar panels that powers the phone and a few lights...
Isla PopaIsla Popa
Isla Popa

Saying goodbye...these two kids were the most outgoing and said they'd come back with me to Seattle...! Kids...what flag is this?
A banana boat coing into AlmiranteA banana boat coing into Almirante
A banana boat coing into Almirante

When the price of bananas was higher, boats like this were a frequent sight. This is the only one we've seen in a week.
Smithsonian TourSmithsonian Tour
Smithsonian Tour

The lab building
Smithsonian TourSmithsonian Tour
Smithsonian Tour

A very cute fruit bat, that was going to be, as the scientist put it, sacrificed for science. There are over a 100 kinds of bats here, including a very big fishing bat that we've seen while eating dinner on the dock!


20th May 2006

Thanks!
As your trip comes to a close, I want to thank you for the great log and photos. Felt like I was there with you, but from the comfort of my own home... What a wonderful time you've had - a trip to remember forever! Thanks again for including me on your e-mail list! Love, SC
22nd May 2006

Home awaits!
I've enjoyed your entries and photos! Thanks for including me. I'm afrtaid a trip to Bellingham is as exotic as my travels will be for a while. We'll be glad to see you back in La Conner. You'll be amazed to see what Deryl's been up to- and Linda has a new roof and skylights. She took a little trip to China this Spring. I drove by your place yesterday and all looks well from the road! Give a call when you can! Breta
13th July 2006

Mi isla
I'm going to cry after looking at these pictures. I use to live here when all those kids were very small. Thanks for the memories.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb