Red Frog


Advertisement
Published: February 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we were really looking for good weather because we wanted to check out a different island. It was not to be however as it was a blank white sky. We moped around the hostel in the morning debating what to do before settling on Red Frog beach. It is on a different island but has a few appealing features. Being a park it is undeveloped and a little out of the way from the main town. It gets it's name from the little poisonous red frogs in the marshes nearby. We were hoping to wander through and find some of the little guys as well as body surf and beach bum around. So onto the boat we jumped and headed through the mangrove covered water passages. Eventually we pulled up the island and jumped off the boat. Jellyfish were everywhere! Slowly moving through the water as we walked along the pier. At the bottom were brightly colour starfish in reds and oranges. Walking through to the beach we met up with some youngsters who had caught some of the tiny frogs. They were pure red with little black spots. They wanted quaters for photos of the frogs but we wanted to find our own. Getting to the beach, we dropped all our stuff and split up. Matt wanted to swim so he watched our stuff from the water while Justin, Morris, and I headed into the jungle to find the frogs. It seemed as if we wouldn't find them after a bit because they were nowhere to be seen. Along the way we stopped to watch a huge trail of leaf cutter ants haul their prizes back to their home. As we were about to give up and head back to the beach Morris spotted a frog. It was chilling on the forest floor bright against the dark soil. We all crowded around taking photos before Justin spotted a second one nearby. After gettingĀ a ton of photos of the little guys we headed off back to the beach. There wasn't any big waves so we just lay in the water for a bit and then lazed on the beach. As we were thinking about calling it a day and headed back, Morris found a soccer ball. We started juggling it when a local came up and offered us a game. Excitedly I accepted and it began. Matt, Justin, and I versus three local men. Morris had a cut up foot from the night of drinking before so he sat out. It was to five goals and looked over from the beginning as we were out classed. They scored three quick goals and we were so tired. Eventually we got a few fluke goals and made a game of it. At 4-4 we hit the post twice and thought we could win. The winning goal sucked as one of them shot a long shot that bounced off Matt's leg into our net 😞. Oh well, it was really fun and we all went strait into the ocean afterwards. We ende dthe day around dinner and walked back to the pier to boat to our island. As we were waiting a dolphin went cruising by. What a shock, it was the last thing we expected. The night went relatively uneventful as we were all exhausted. We ate dinner then just watched a movie before bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb