Pirates island flair in Panama (24.-26.3.09)


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Talamanca coast borders Panama and it was tempting to have a look over the border. We decided on a loop trip and left Costa Rica to Panama on the Caribbean cost and re-entered on the Pacific coast. The border already gave indications on the income differences between the countries. The average income in Panama is well below the 500US$ a month in Costa Rica. Rubber boots and skirts were in high demand. We had an unpleasant surprise when crossing the border. A rather rude woman told us to buy a return bus ticket and to get a tarjeta the tourista. We did not get much explanation, but it turned out that the return ticket is a requirement occasionally enforced. The Boca del Torro is a chain of islands 30 minutes offshore by boat. The shared taxi boat ride was very thrilling with large modern Japanese engine powered boots of speeds of 40 km - 50 km per hour. The main island Boca de Torres was an assembly of colorful painted houses partially built over water. As the atmosphere of the Talamanca coast was the one of a Bacardi commercial, the Bocas felt like being in a Pirate of the Caribbean’s movie. The city had a laid back feeling with people hardly bothering about you in the guesthouses being busy with their own affairs. The Panama people were rather short in the conversations and hardly bothered to great each other. It seemed they lived in their own world. We later heart from two sides that smiles and happiness is rather difficult to find in Panama.
We spent a day at a beach on the Northern shore named after the plenty starfishes and strolled in the evening the streets. The city has a huge population of American expats and prices seemed to be rather on an American than Central American level. We left after two nights, enjoyed again the lovely boat ride back to the main land and crossed the Central Mountain Range by a 5 hour bus ride to David, the 2nd biggest town of Panama at the Pacific coast.

Practicalities:
Visa most nations do not need visa; some countries have to buy a tourist card for 5 US$(ie. US, Japan); we were asked to buy a return bus ticket to Costa Rica (12 US$)
Exchange Panama adapted the US$ as currency; additional local coins are issued


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb