Ometepe Island - Biggest freshwater island in the WORLD!


Advertisement

Girls on the boatGirls on the boatGirls on the boat

Pam, Emma and Tasha happy on the ferry

Island life



After a relatively short bus ride down the west coast of lake nicaragua, we arrived at the ferry dock en route to Isla de Ometepe. As we bundled our numerous rucksacks and bags onto the ferry we looked across the lake to see a glimpse of the twin volcanoes of Concepcion and Maderas which dominate the island. The weather wasn't great, overcast and windy, the tops of the volcanoes were shrouded in cloud giving them a foreboding quality.

We were staying here for 2 nights which turned out to be more than enough really. Our accommodation was a small resort on the beach pretty much in the middle of nowhere about a half hour ride from the main town where the ferry docked. The main road was manufactured in a quite interesting way; small paving stone blocks, inter-locking on 4 sides, were used to build the road. As I looked back along the miles of road as we drove on I couldn't help thinking it must have took ages to build it! It must have been like the biggest, most monotonous jig-saw puzzle ever!

There were a few activities to do from our place including horse
Volcano in the mistVolcano in the mistVolcano in the mist

view of concepcion
riding, renting motorbikes or a 10 hour hike up Maderas volcano on top of which is, apparently, a fantastic example of primary cloud forest. We just decided to have a long stroll along the black sandy beach, black sand due to eroded volcanic rock by the way. Later on we had the opportunity to go to some local hot springs for a swim. I would highly recommend it to all; its a natural pool surrounded by jungle on all sides and tropical birds constantly chirping away in the trees as you take a refreshing dip. Sometimes the birds decide to join you for a swim too! Great way to spend a few hours, think it cost about $15 p/p for entry and taxis.

It's a huge island, home to nearly 25,000 people, but it all seemed a bit inaccessible and we left the following day with a slight sense of regret that we hadn't seen the most Isla de Ometepe had to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Taxi to hotelTaxi to hotel
Taxi to hotel

View from back of truck
homehome
home

our little house for 2 nights
ChillingChilling
Chilling

me relaxing after climbing up the tree
something diedsomething died
something died

turkey vultures circling over head
Hot springsHot springs
Hot springs

Mister Ken doing a little dance


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb