Ometepe, Nicaragua


Advertisement
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


WaterfallWaterfallWaterfall

on Volcan Maderas.
So the computers here in the ¨big city¨of Moyogalpa are actually sorta decent. Slow, but everything is in working order.

We left San Carlos for a ten hour boat ride to Isla de Ometepe. We splurged for first class (an extra fifty cents per hour) and got to see some slasher movies and bad 80's videos for the ride. We arrived in Altagracia at 12:30am Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and walked a few kilometers to a three dollar a night hotel which is really more of a hostel. Our first real destination the next morning was a placed called Finca Magdalina just outside the town of Belgue. A very sweet place with ultra cheap lodging. Climbed volcano Maderas one of the days there, but the weather wasn´t the best for the hike. Tons of slippery mud and everyone was wet by the end. Also, when we arrived in the cone to see the lagoon, it was so clouded over that we could only see four to five meters infront of our faces. So the picures are less than spactacular. The hike is wicked hard coming down and everyone fell at least once.

After some time there mainly just relaxing and
ConceptionConceptionConception

from the Maderas side of the island.
talking with other travelers we decided to catch a few busses over to the back side of Maderas. A very mellow area that I don´t really think would be considered a town really. More like a few houses and churches along the road. I made my first phone call since leaving to Rachel on Valentines Day. Miss her so much. Hiked up the side of Maderas to see a pretty good looking waterfall, but sadly not much room to swim under it. If you look from the right spot on the road you can see the waterfall, but it is a good walk to get there. Myogalpa is just a small town with few things to do. I want to hike Conception, but I am a bit hiked out for now. Maybe on the way back South I will stop in again and give it a go. I really want to go up the both of them.

Tomorrow we will take the boat back to mainland and try to make it to Granada where Martin and I are thinking of doing a homestay to learn some Spanish and spend some time with a family. Haven´t got anything set up
MoyogalpaMoyogalpaMoyogalpa

view from the big city.
yet though. Figure it when we get there. I hope all is well and no one has lost any jobs since I have left.

Some of these pictures are going to be from some of the other places I have been to, but wasn´t able to post. The order is pretty random and some of the photos are from Miriam´s or Martin´s cameras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MoyogalpaMoyogalpa
Moyogalpa

eatery
cemetarycemetary
cemetary

Costa Rica
hikinghiking
hiking

Costa Rica
ArienalArienal
Arienal

Climbing the volcano in La Fortuna. No view, just rain.
Isla de OmetepeIsla de Ometepe
Isla de Ometepe

From the boat.
petroglyphspetroglyphs
petroglyphs

at the church
AltagraciaAltagracia
Altagracia

The big church
Another bus rideAnother bus ride
Another bus ride

Martin and I
MaderasMaderas
Maderas

The lagoon in the crater. Reminds me of home.
ConceptionConception
Conception

From Finca Magdalina
MaderasMaderas
Maderas

Merida side


18th February 2009

great pics
amazing to hear your voice again. i'm glad i didn't crash my car too...
18th February 2009

hey hey, glad to see your haven the time of your life. the pics are cool. cant even imagine what it must be like to be there. have fun man. good vibes and love your bro
19th February 2009

Sweet!
The pictures you posted look awesome! You're so lucky! Glad you're having a good time!
21st February 2009

Yo. Glad you're having fun. Thanks for offering to help move when you get back. Free room and board for your labor.
25th February 2009

Hi Ho!
Hi Jack, Looks like you've met up with some nice friends. Incredible scenery. Same-o same-o here except lots of rain that we desperately needed. Obama gave a great speech last night. Know that we think of you often and send lots of love your way. Travelin' mercies, Katie and yer Dad
1st March 2009

Hola
You are way behind on this-hope you made it to Guatamala! Pictures are great, can't wait to see the rest. Just moved Susan to her new home, keep your fingers crosses for our turn- Love from both of us!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb