Isla de Ometepe


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,

Al here once again. Sorry for the lack of updates, we were on Isla de Omtepe without much access to a computer.

So, from San Juan del Sur we hopped on another Jesus Christ pimped out bus, full of crosses and stickers and loud music and headed towards Lake Nicaragua. Its a massive lake with more than 300 islands on it. Some of which are being bought up by rich people for their own private oasis. So anyways, we get off the bus in place called Rivas. Just a transfer town, but the locals seem to swarm in masses the second you get off the bus and try to direct you to their cab or their bus. They literally grab your bag and run with it towards their cab. One guy grabbed Laurens bag, threw it in the cab, (he wasnt even the driver) then he sat in the front with the driver all the way to the ferry. Once we arrived he wanted money for the safe arrival of our luggage. Hahha, its funny, and it makes you feel so ripped off, but the dollar he charged really didnt hurt us, and its the way he makes a living. So you just cant´t let it bother you too much. It does get wearing though.

So, on the ferry to the magical place that is Isla de Ometepe. Picture a massive massive lake. Than off in the distance, in the middle of the lake are two massive volcanos soaking up the horizon. One, Concepion, towers the other volcano Maderas by an extra 216 metres. Their tops are always covered, and mysterious as the heat from them and moisture in the air causes cloud cover. Its tends to look like a glacier from a distance which is such an odd visual in such a warm climate. The boat takes about an hour. We land on shore to a hoard of awaiting taxi drivers that want to charge you too, and try to convince that there are no buses that run. But looking over the shoulders of the swindlers we see a bus with way too many poeple on it about to leave so we run for it. Packs thrown in atop a huge pile of other backpacks, and crammed into the bus like sardines into a can and were off. Another 80cent bumpy bus ride that last about an hour and a half.

We arrive in Santo Domingo. Its a small town on the isthumis of the two volcanos. An erie feeling sitting at the base of these two monsters. We board with a french canadian girl and her man friend, an american. Audrey and Cameron. Nice couple. We always seem to find people to share rooms with at the right time, because it would have been quite expensive otherwise. So settled in our beautiful beach cabana, we eat our first real meal of the day.

The next day we get kicked out of beach house, due to a reservation, and have to look for a new place. We find this crazy round house, er hobbit home, made of round stones and curved radius doors. Very neat place. We decide that its time to do something, so we rent a 150cc dirtbike and circumnavigate the smaller volcano Maderas for the day. It was the best way to get away from the tourist trail and see first hand how the natives to this island lived. The road turned to bumpy (bumpier) rough dirt road only accessible by 4x4 or dirtbike, and the people seemed very surprised and happy to see a couple of gringos waving and honking at them as we putted by on the dirt bike. The kids chased after us, and the dogs just lay in the middle of the road expecting we go around them. At one point we stopped for a break in the middle of no where, and heard the sound of a horse coming our way. Around the bend came this amazing looking old man on his small mule looking horse, with homemade saddle and rubber boots on. He looked very wise, and inquisitive. He looked us over, than asked where we were from, approved, than worked himself into a 20 minute talk about his life. That he spent his whole life on the island, and has worked very hard, he said he could afford a truck, but doesn´t want one because it will make him lazy, thus causing him to age quicker and become weak and sick. He does everything with his horse and machette. He was very proud that we were coming to his side of the island, as nobody ever does and seemed genuinely interested in our trip and where we were from. Of course this was all in spanish so the little i picked up, with Laurens translations and some hand gestures i was able to keep up.

The day ended with some peroglyphs that were pretty boring. Some scratches in a rock, poorly faded and no write up about them or information. A small hike and crappy lunch and back on the dirtbike to our little hobbit hole. Finished the day off with a swim in the warmest lake i´ve ever felt and saw an amazing sunset. Not to mention the lake is the only lake in the world with fresh water sharks in it. A great day. A great place. We were sad to leave, but off to Costa Rica! More on that in the next blog. Thanks for reading. Miss you all.

Al and Lauren says bye as well.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb