Day 66 to 75: Nicaragua (San Juan Del Sur and Ometepe Island)


Advertisement

Playa San Juan Del SurPlaya San Juan Del SurPlaya San Juan Del Sur

Sunset at Playa San Juan Del Sur
I crossed over from Costa Rica to Nicaragua over the land border. Except the fact that Nicaragua needs PCR test, it's an easy border crossing.

My first stop was San Juan Del Sur, the famous beach on the Pacific Coast in Nicaragua.

Just crossing into Nicaragua, I could see the change in the vegetation and feel the increased temperature. The soil was dry, the rainforests had given way to dry forests and the heat was intense.

I stayed near the main beach on San Juan Del Sur but visited Playa Maderas where most surfers hang out.

However, my trip was dampened by me getting a heat stroke and being sick for 3-4 days. It was time to just rest and recuperate.

I left from SJDS for Ometepe Island after recovering.

The trip included a chicken bus ride to Rivas and then a ferry to Moyogalpa in Ometepe. And I learnt that in Nicaragua, you have to negotiate everything, including chicken bus fares. They will ask you to pay for your bag separately but if you negotiate, you can do away with it.

Ometepe is an island in Lake Nicaragua, the largest lake in Central
Playa MaderasPlaya MaderasPlaya Maderas

Spent a day at Playa Maderas
America (and 20th in the world by area). Ometepe literally means two mountains, thanks to the two volcanoes on the island. It's a mystical place, considered to be the promised place by its early inhabitants (somewhere close to 500BC).

The island is massive (276 sqKM, biggest freshwater island in the world), so I had to pick my spots where to spend time.

I visited the Punta Jesus Maria, a black sand beach on the island with a sandbar that extends into the water (you are figuratively walking on water and hence the name) for its sunset.

I also visited Ojo De Agua, a natural spring with crystal clear waters (best to avoid weekend there when it gets crowded).

Among the places I stayed in, El Pital Chocolate Paradise was magical (except the mosquitoes, bugs) and just jumping into the water felt very relaxing.

I could see why people find Ometepe magical and stay long periods here. Lakes have that ability and Ometepe with its various attractions provides the diversity which hooks people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ometepe IslandOmetepe Island
Ometepe Island

The twin volcanoes of Ometepe Island
Punta Jesus MariaPunta Jesus Maria
Punta Jesus Maria

Sandbar at Punta Jesus Maria at Ometepe
Punta Jesus MariaPunta Jesus Maria
Punta Jesus Maria

Sunset at Punta Jesus Maria
Ono De AguaOno De Agua
Ono De Agua

Ojo De Agua in Ometepe
El PitalEl Pital
El Pital

A short walk at El Pital
El PitalEl Pital
El Pital

Loved jumping into the waters at El Pital


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb