San Carlos: Entrance to the San Juan River


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We made it to San Carlos, Nica this morning at 5am. We were beat from the ferry and decided to get a cheapo room for a few hours. After that we had a teriffic traditional Nicaraguan breakfast: Rice & beans, eggs, tortillas, cheese & a HUGH avacado. They just don´t have avacado like that in the US. We left on the ferry last night at around 7pm & it was pretty interesting. We rented some hammock chairs to sleep on the deck of the boat. Overall we got some sleep and the ride wasnt too bad. That was until about 2 hours out from San Carlos, maybe 2am. We were in the middle of the water when all of a sudden we were engulfed in a massive cloud of insects. They were everywhere... it felt apocolypitic to me since i have never experienced anything like it. After about a half an hour of just being a mix of awestruck and disgusted i just put my sweatshirt over as much of my body and face as possible and kept trying to sleep. That went OK. it was seriously bizzar. I could tell there were a lot of insects still around just by the noise of them hitting everything around me. I´ll have to look up online soon to find out what they were and if it goes on all the time.
Anyway, we´ve continued to have many memorable experiences. We´re booked to leave on a boat to El Castillo, a small tourist town (and old spanish colonial fortress) town. The town is right on the edge of the largest Nicaraguan nature reserve. We plan to spend the next 2/3 days taking jungle tours and exploring El Castillo. Lots of photos to come!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb