Jiquilillo Beach


Advertisement

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Rico Casts in the PacificRico Casts in the PacificRico Casts in the Pacific

Rich tries his luck in the ocean as we walk the beach early in the morning.
Wednesday we got up really early and walked from the Rancho to the end of the beach where the Padre Ramos Reserve starts. Rich took his fishing pole but didn't get much interest from the fish. The Rancho dog "Curly" followed us there for the hour walk but then disappeared at the fishing community at the entrance to the preserve. We walked back without him and had some coffee and breakfast. The owner is not too concerned about the dog and if he isn't back by 2 pm we will drive to the point to see if we can find him. He is a big dog and he challenges all other dogs and we hope that nothing bad happened to him. The owners claim he has ADD and forgets what he is doing if he sees a bird or a person he knows.

Late last night a tour guide arrived with 4 kids from Boston. One is living and volunteering in Granada and the rest came to pick him up and travel a bit in Nicaragua. They are all lots of fun to talk to, but, of course, we are all speaking in English and not practicing our Spanish.
FishermenFishermenFishermen

Most people in the community fish and this picture was taken as a family was heading out to the Pacific through the Estuary.

It has been raining in the afternoons which cools things off, but there are lots of mosquitos if we don't stay in our hut. We will probably stay a day or two more here and then head somewhere else to see if Rich can find some fish. Oh, by the way, everyone calls him Rico here!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Facing NorthFacing North
Facing North

When the beach is clear you can see north to the volcano Consiguinia which is the northernmost land structure of northwest Nicaraugua.
BoatsBoats
Boats

What we thought were fishing camps with boats parked out front were actual residences.
OreosOreos
Oreos

One can purchase almost all the Nabisco Products. Tell Barbara we are supporting her sales even out of the US.
RicoRico
Rico

Rich is in the bed during the day without the mosquito net. We really need the net at night because the bugs are bad since the rain 10 days ago.
Padre Ramos Padre Ramos
Padre Ramos

Here is a protected estuary which takes 1 hour to walk to via the beach. We can also take the bus which passes about 6 times each day to the reserve but stops a lot to unload ice and to load local fishermen's catches.


11th June 2010

Glad you found the dog ok. Too bad you dont have a sharp little knife with you to remedy that aggresiveness . ha ha snip snip Hope Rico finds his fish. Will you eat them for dinner ? Things are good here . I just saw Cathy , Paulette and Lora Lee at book club. Lora Lee leaves Tues for 3 weeks as a deck hand on LynBlad ships !! She is excited. Take care, You may be a mom when you get home. (baby ducks !!) Diane
13th June 2010

Oh my God!
Are the chickens sitting on the duck eggs? Cause those ducks were never patient enough to sit on their own eggs. What book are you reading? I really miss easy access to books here. The hostels do often have some interesting ones, but many I have already read. We need to rig up a sexy pirate/bellydance outfit for Laura Lee. She could dance for her fellow deck hands. I hope to see her before she leaves. We will be back next week and I keep thinking of the Sauce Boss. Thanks for chiming in with your comments. Dawn

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb