Pearl Lagoon


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The panga made one stop before arriving in Pearl Lagoon. The dock is in the middle of the main street and the town is small.



Where We Stayed

Green Hotel - $12 for a double with shared bathroom or $16 with private bathroom. The shared bathroom rooms are very small. The private bathroom rooms are large with a desk, TV, wifi and towels provided. The owners are very friendly and helpful. On arriving in the dock turn left. The Green Hotel is on the corner of a block on your right.



What We Did

Pearl Lagoon is a small town with not much going on.

Walked to Awas - coming out of Green Hotel turn right and turn right again at the church. Walk for about 30 mins until you reach the village. When you reach the fork turn left and go over a bridge. There is a place where you can swim. When there I am sure you will meet Orlando. He is studying tourism and will take you on a tour of his village and get you fresh coconuts from the tree. He also can sell you jewellery or various tours in the area.

Visited Pearl Keys - these are lovely tropical islands. You will need to get some other tourists together to share the boat. We went with 4 people who were staying at Queen Lobster so booked a tour through them. Most guesthouses will run tours and there is a hut in the dock which does the cheapest tours for a group. We paid $40 each for a day trip including snorkel gear, rundown for lunch and water. We vistited 3 different islands. Bring lots of sunscreen for the hour long boat trip.

We arrived in Pearl Lagoon on Monday and there were no other tourists wanting to go to the Pearl Keys. We had to wait until Tuesday afternoon until we could book our trip for Wednesday which meant staying in Pearl Lagoon longer than we wanted. There is not much to do in the Pearl Lagoon so bear that in mind when visiting. We saw a sign when we were in Little Corn Island for a trip to the Pearl Keys so if you are short of time it might be best doing it from there to save hanging around in Pearl Lagoon waiting for more tourists.



Where We Ate

There are a couple of people selling food outside their houses/shop for C$50-C$70.

Sweet Pearly is a bar/restaurant near to Green Hotel selling small beers for C$16. There is also an ice cream parlour there.



Where We Went Next

The bus leaves Pearl Lagoon from the basketball court dead on 5:30am so donĀ“t be late. It cost C$150 and was busy to start with but soon dropped people off to work on the farms. The road is not paved so it is a slow journey. There was a 15min break and it arrived in El Rama at 10am. You can also get a panga at 6:30am to Bluefields and then another boat to El Rama. We met some people in El Rama that did it that way and they arrived at 10:30am.

When you get off the bus in El Rama there is a guy selling bus tickets to Managua. The bus is a comfier bus and left at 10:30am. Cost was C$160. The bus stopped in Juigalpa and we had to change buses. Keep your ticket from the first bus as you will need to give it to the new driver. We loaded our luggage and got on the new bus. A few minutes later we were told to get off whilst the driver moved the bus to one of the parking bays when we could get back on again.

We were headed to Granada and wanted to avoid Managua if possible so we got off the Managua bound bus in Tipitapa which is about 20km outside Managua. The bus from El Rama which left at 10:30am arrived there at 5:15pm. After the bus dropped us off (just before the big Masaya intersection) we crossed the road and there was a van waiting for people to go to Masaya. Cost was C$18 for a quick but rather squashed journey. Instead of getting off in the town of Masaya the bus guy asked if we wanted to connect to Granada or Rivas and therefore dropped us off on the main road before the town.


As soon as we got out of the van on the main road another bus pulled up going to Granada. Cost was C$12 and we arrived in Granada at 6:15pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb