Third Leg: Crossing the border between Guatemala and Honduras


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras
January 13th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Saturday, January 10th we drove from Antigua, through Guatemala City and into Honduras.

Guatemala City was an overpopulated, extremely polluted place. Approaching from Antigua you could see the smog hovering over the city; very sad! Again, roads were unmarked, again we got lost and again we found our way.

While in Honduras we will go to Lago Yojoa to visit the family of our friend Dina, who is from Honduras and now is a professor of Spanish in North Dakota. On our way to Honduras we followed a family in a truck for a while and commented that maybe it was the family of our friend Dina going home to meet us (you never know, after all it is a small world).

The process for leaving Guatemala and entering Honduras was the same as before. Check out of one country, proceed to the next, check in with passports, then check in with vehicle (needed title and passports and to pay fees). The process takes about an hour, just need to pay attention, be clear about where you are coming from, where you are going to and reason for travel.

The Honduras customs and immigration office was a wood frame building (like a hunting shack). The customs officials appeared to be a family (Dad, Mom, Son and Daughter). At the customs office we commented again that maybe this family could be related to our friend Dina (well, you just never know).

Our first stop in Honduras was the town of Copan Ruinas, a kilometer away from the ruins of Copan (more about that in another blog, later).

So far Honduras is clean, scenic, and beautiful. The people have been friendly and welcoming. Chuck and I found it funny that we finally arrive to a town where the streets are labeled, but the map in our guide book did not include street names on the map.

Maps and roadways are a bit frustrating; both are consistently inconsistent! We have a handful of maps and any time we travel it is an adventure. None of the maps are the same and only some of them are accurate only some of the time. Usually we need to stop and ask directions from a local. Often we have to ask more than once. The most typical responses are ‘por aca’ and ‘todo derecho’ which basically means ‘over there’ and ‘straight ahead’. Over there is more accurate, but not much help. When this happens, I say thank you and move on to the next person. It is wonderful when we come across someone who gives accurate directions like two blocks, right at the corner, or left onto the highway. Well it all adds to the adventure and makes for good conversation, great opportunity to practice Spanish, and interesting travels.

Bienvenido y buen viaje!


Advertisement



13th January 2009

It is true!!
Maybe it was my family who you saw, funny, funny! I can wait for you to see the north part of Honduras, remember, don't travel at night time.
26th January 2009

your trip looks great and I know you two are having a wonderful time. As you know, you are missing the 30 below temps in your home states. Have a neat trip and spread blessings to our southern friends.

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb