German Beer in Copan!


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

M - Copan Ruinas is a pretty and interesting little town with two added bonuses. The first, and currently more famous of the two, is the Mayan Ruins which are just outside of the town. The second, not so well known, is the locally brewed German beer. Yes, if you wonder down the back streets you can find a low volume but extremely professional German very Micro-Brewery. We have promised the brewer, Thomas, that we would not write anything about his establishment on TripAdvisor as he basically doesn’t want to become part of the tourist trail. He currently brews his beer as a hobby/small business and his Honduran wife cooks German food and they don’t want to be overwhelmed. Good luck to him on the latter. I lived in Germany for 6 months and I can attest to the fact that both the beer and the food are excellent. Thomas and his family returned to Honduras two years ago after several years in Germany. Hence his wife can really cook German food.

What is a little strange though is listening to Thomas and his two young Honduran sons converse in German. Anyway, we had a great evening in his little bar with a number of the locals who have obviously cottoned on that his German beer is pretty good. It looked like it was turning into a rowdy Friday night out for the group of locals we were with. They were keen to take us to sample the three local bars/disco that they ran but after a few Weisbeers we thought better of it and left them to it and to save ourselves for the next day.

Kate has already said a little about the Copan so I wont repeat it, but I have attached a few more pictures of the town and the ruins. Copan was certainly worth a trip for the ruins, the beer, town square and the local street food which we ate plenty of! However my lasting impression was watching the two gun-toting policemen climbing our of their little blue Tuk-Tuk. I captured the little blue Tuk-Tuk on film but wasn’t quick enough to get the two policemen climbing out as well. Probably for the best as they might have arrested me for taking the piss! That’s if they could have caught me going up the hill that is ...
Scoll Down for more Photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Local Police Tuk-TukLocal Police Tuk-Tuk
Local Police Tuk-Tuk

Even I could out run this if I really needed to.
Our first fresh coconut juice of the tripOur first fresh coconut juice of the trip
Our first fresh coconut juice of the trip

I thiik we paid about 50 cents for this but given that the guy was using a huge machete to chop the coconut up he could have chsarged us whatever he liked!


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb