Copan


Advertisement
Published: January 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post


The Mayan ruins of Copan are located one kilometer outside of the town of Copan Ruinas on the road towards Lago Yojoa and San Pedro Sula.

This archaeological park is relatively more expensive than other Mayan sites, but it is well maintained, researched and presented to visitors through the extensive structures, monuments, and historical and cultural interpretations. Admission into the ruins was $15 USD per person, another $15 for the museum, and $7 for the onsite tunnels. All are worth the price. Also within the park is a restaurant, two gift shops, bathrooms, and about a dozen macaws and another dozen or so of another local animal that looked like a cross between a cat, a rat, and a tapir. There is also a nature trail and picnic area.

The area surrounding Copan was first settled circa 1100 BCE because of the fertile lands adjacent to the Copan River as well as the area forests which provided settlers with meat. After a decline in population from circa 300 BCE to circa 150 CE, Copan steadily grew in both population and prosperity until again declined during the 800s CE because of overpopulation, deforestation and environmental degradation.

The ruins
CopanCopanCopan

tortuga
of Copan include five plazas, a ceremonial court with a collection of stela, a ball court, and many altars, mounds and temples.

Copan is well known for stone carving. Within the site, the museum on site, and the museum in the town of Copan Ruinas there are a large number of stela, statuary, monuments, and altars portraying the history and culture of Copan through royal personages, gods and hieroglyphics.
Many of the carved stone pieces have been or are in the process of being replicated. The replications are replacing the originals throughout the site and the originals are being transferred to local museums to ensure their preservation.

The hieroglyphic stairway of one of the main Copan structures is considered to be the longest inscribed text in the Americas. The stairway narrates the dynastic history of Copan. Another hieroglyphic stairway was found as part of an earlier temple, now buried beneath the current. When Mayan rulers were replaced they superimposed their power by building over the structures of previous rulers. The earlier hieroglyphic stairway is visible only by paying the additional admission to visit the tunnels.
Visiting the tunnels also allows visitors to see how archaeologists explore and study a ruin site, and additionally to view the tombs and past constructions of the ancient Mayan dynasty.

The ball court at Copan is unique in that its benches are adorned with macaws. The macaw was associated with the sun and its movement across the sky. The game itself was representative of the cycle of life and also the interactions and interconnectedness between the earth and the heavens, the living world and the spirit world, and life and death.

The park is open daily from 8am to 4pm and one full day should be set aside to visit and fully appreciate everything this site has to offer.








Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Copan Tunnel EntranceCopan Tunnel Entrance
Copan Tunnel Entrance

mid - lower left
the other tunnel entrancethe other tunnel entrance
the other tunnel entrance

same plaza, different tunnel, entrance by the humans
Carved Statue CopanCarved Statue Copan
Carved Statue Copan

¿maybe a monkey man?
Carving at CopanCarving at Copan
Carving at Copan

one of the stela
Copan AnimalsCopan Animals
Copan Animals

these are the rat-cat-tapir like animals


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb