The Ruins


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we ate breakfast in the courtyard of our B&B, then walked through town and down to the Mayan Ruins. We had a very knowledgeable guide, Cesar, who toured us through the various temples and statues. There were tons of birds at the ruins--we brought our binoculars so we could check out the macaws, parrots and orioles in the trees. A lot of the actual statues and stella in Copan have been replaced with replicas and moved to a museum on the site (so they don't get ruined by acid rain, etc.). We walked through the museum, then walked about 1 mile down the road to Las Sepulturas, another archeological site. This is where the elite of Copan were thought to have lived, and was excavated in the 1990s. It was a long, hot walk back to Casa de Cafe, so we were happy to sit in the hammocks in the yard with some iced tea in the afternoon! The owners of the B&B are very hospitable, happy to give suggestions on activities and restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hieroglyphic historyHieroglyphic history
Hieroglyphic history

The first king of Copan symbolically passing the baton of power to the 16th king. Part of a statue showing all 16 kings of Copan.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb