Monday FunDay


Advertisement
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today made the trip! PILOT WHALES EVERYWHERE!!!


Today was an early day - Todd and I woke up to do a dawn dive at 6am, followed by a quick bite to eat and then off to the dive boat for a day we'll never forget! The dive was good (as are all the dives here), but our surface interval this morning couldn't be beat! We were greeted by a pod of Pilot Whales. We donned our snorkel gear and went for a swim with these awesome gentle giants. The pod started out small - 3 adults and a smaller one, which eventually grew to 11 total! It was absolutely unbelieveable . . . a once in a lifetime opportunity we had the pleasure of sharing!

Besides the pilot whales that made the day, as well as making the trip . . . the rest of the day was fantastic too. Beautiful sunny skies and calm waters. What a treat it is to be on vacation here and now. Lots of life underwater - creatures left and right. Lots of tiny animals - not too many big creatures. (except the pilot whales and one spotted eagle ray we saw yesterday - about 75 feet below me)

Tomorrow on the agenda is a fabulous dive to Mary's Place in the morning (one of the best dives on the island!) Stay tuned for more!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Underwater ManicureUnderwater Manicure
Underwater Manicure

Pederson Cleaning Shrimp
Bristle Worm on Brain CoralBristle Worm on Brain Coral
Bristle Worm on Brain Coral

Look but don't touch! Ouch!
Always messing with the localsAlways messing with the locals
Always messing with the locals

Arrow Crab on my hand - - - feels like a spider.


9th December 2008

Whales
Wow, I've never seen whales out in the wild before! How big were they? Was this a surprise for you, or did you already have an idea that you might be seeing them?
9th December 2008

Thanks for sharing your photos and details of your day. Glad you all are having a great time. Tell Catherine we miss her!! Still waiting for your entry from tuesday morning's dive!!! :)
10th December 2008

Pilot Whales
The whales were very unexpected and a great surprise when we came up from our first morning dive. Not in a million years would I have thought I'd ever be seeing these beasts . . . especially on our trip here. I'd say the biggest was around 20 feet or so if not bigger, and the little guy was like a big fat dolphin - 8-10 foot or so maybe. =)

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb