Scuba


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

This weekend we spent most of our time doing our open water certification for diving. On Saturday, we got oriented to the gear and terminology. We spent the morning kneeling in about 5 ft. of ocean practicing skills like taking the regulator (mouthpiece) out of our mouths and putting it back in and flooding the mask with water and clearing it by blowing out through the nose. In the afternoon, we went for our first dive on the reef at Lighthouse dive site. The coral and fish were awesome and Aaron even saw a small sea turtle swimming toward the surface. On Sunday morning we did more skills in shallow water to practice things like running out of air and emergency ascents. We did our second open water dive in the afternoon at Turtle Crossing and saw a pretty big sea turtle nestled in the coral reef. Now we're almost certified divers!

During one of our dives over the weekend, we met a girl who took a Spanish class with Amy at UNC. Small world.

In the hospital on Friday, Amy met Peggy, a nurse from Ohio who has a clinic on the island, and her pre-med student, Dan. That night we went out to dinner at the Lighthouse with Peggy and Dan, 2 docs from the U.S. that were working in Peggy's clinic and Raymond, a Honduran doctor who also works with Peggy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb