Beach Party!


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Roatán
February 25th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had an itinerary change this week. A security threat came up in Costa Rica the other day. Another Carnival ship was there and a group of passengers on a rainforest tour were attacked by 3 men with weapons. One of the passengers was an ex-marine and he fought one of the men and that attacker was killed. For now, Carnival has suspended visiting Costa Rica. And so today, we were in Roatan, Honduras! The addition of another port and country was very exciting and today was incredible.

I went with a group of 15 people (mostly entertainment staff) to West Bay Beach. In addition to us, there were a ton of casino, gift shop and various other staff there too. The day became quite the party. It felt like spring break - everyone sunning, swimming, snorkelling, playing and drinking - lots.

The drive to and from the beach was gorgeous. Rolling hills, tiny homes, the ocean sparkling blue always beside us, and across the water - views of the mountains of mainland Honduras.

The beach itself was unbelievable. It was the perfect picturesque beach: fine soft, white powder sand, clear, clean, sparkling, aqua blue water. The beach
Views of RoatanViews of RoatanViews of Roatan

From our drive to the beach
stretch really far along the shore and the entirety was lined with lush trees and palms. It felt like the perfect island paradise.

We settled by a little tiki bar that also served great food. The owner, Tommy, from Chicago originally, was our host and ensured we had a great party. Father down the beach was a little cart, where a man named Eric (originally from Ottawa) sold fresh fruit drinks. I had daiquiri made with mangoes picked fresh this morning, pureed with ice and rum. Such a treat.

I swam out in the ocean to a coral section and was suddenly in the middle of a whole school of fish! Bright yellow and black striped ones, and other huge shiny silver and black ones. At first it was a bit freaky to me, but then I relaxed and was just in awe.

I laughed so much. I feel so lucky to have friends like Brooks, Ricky, Cat and Kristina. They bring me such joy. I played in the water with Cat. Kristina and I took silly pictures together. I love hanging out with these people.

So many times today, I just had to stop, look around at the people and our incredible surroundings to be awestruck. This is my job. This is my life. I am so privileged, lucky and blessed all at once.

I have had many wonderful days since this adventure began. Today has been one of the best.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Local ChildrenLocal Children
Local Children

These three boys were part of a huge group of kids who were running and swimming and playing around us all day.
Brooks, Francois and DarnellBrooks, Francois and Darnell
Brooks, Francois and Darnell

Francois is from Quebec and is one of the art auctioneers. Darnell is from England and works in the gift shop.
Kristina and IKristina and I
Kristina and I

The "Pin Up" photo!


28th February 2007

Welcome to my part of town!
So glad you got a chance to check out Honduras. I know it's just a little piece and that we didn't even experience the same part of the island of Roatan, but still cool that you can say you were where I was! lol. Looks like you had a good time. The fish and corral are indescribable. Glad you got a chance to look at them. See any of Dory? They're called blue tangs. Quite a few out there. I was just pumped to say I saw Dory... lol.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb