Cayos Cochinos Day 5


Advertisement
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today's Dive PlanToday's Dive PlanToday's Dive Plan

It's gonna be another busy day!
Still flying high from the night dive. Loved everything about it! We slept like absolute babies last night. Sooo tired from 4 dives in one day. Whew. It's really a workout. Mike said that supposedly you burn 2000 calories on an average 45 minute dive. Maybe that's why I need to eat so much of the delicious food they're serving here.....

Just us gang 'o silly kids at breakfast. It's so much fun. Mike was telling us how there are groups who come & rent the entire resort out so they can have it all to themselves. We just lucked into it & are enjoying every second of it. Lucky us! (It's kinda like our bus luck. We have the best bus luck. Almost without fail we will arrive at the bus station or transfer station & our bus will be there just about to leave but with room for us. It's great having such wonderful bus luck. Still going strong there!)

This morning we went out to Troy's Treasure for our first dive of the day. It's in the opposite direction of Lionshead & was awesome of course! The pinnacles of reef are so amazing especially because the sandy bottom between them each is so full of life & creatures! On this dive we saw a juvenile Queen Trigger fish, which was so amazing! & right after that we saw two adult Queen Trigger Fish. Her parents maybe?? I have never ever seen baby/juvenile fish like we have the past two days & it is so incredibly indescribable! (Thanks Robs!) It's like mini-me in the fish world. Thankfully, Mike got it on video (we are definitely buying a video from him) & I will watch the babies at home all the time. Ahhhh.... We also saw a cute little Netted Olive Mollusk crossing a big sand patch. And my new fav fish, Blue Parrotfish. Google him, his face will make you giggle. I promise! There were also Channel Clinging Crabs which are sooo huge! They grow algae all over their backs to blend in with their surroundings & they do it well.

Another fabulous dive & back home within minutes. I never want to leave.... We've discussed that Rio needs a full time nurse on the island, but he hasn't jumped at the idea... I told him to definitely keep me in mind if the job ever opens up. Fingers crossed! Of course another fabulous lunch & quality company & of course, reef book review & discussion of all things we saw on dive #1. This is the best way to spend day after day. I am addicted to diving & am totally ok with it!!

That afternoon, which is usually just after lunch because we all spend so much time talking, we headed to The Caves. This was a really shallow dive (max depth 31 feet) but quite tricky. The coral pinnacles were tall, some reaching almost to the surface & the swim throughs were tight. Geoff did all the swim throughs, I did none. Too scary & I do not need to freak out under water in a tight enclosed space, thank you very much. One of the tiny swim-thrus Geoff did I was super nervous for him. I watched him swim in the itty bitty tunnel & watched his bubbles through the top of the coral for a good couple of minutes. I was nervous for sure. I was thinking about how long he could survive without air, how we would get him on the surface, CPR review in my head. Yikes, I
The dockThe dockThe dock

& a giant bouy!
worry too much. After about (the longest ever) 3-4 minutes he came swimming over the top of the coral, with the 3 of us still sitting at the entrance. Then Mike gestured would I like to go next. Absolutely not. We continued on. Later that day, Geoff told me that it was, in his words, a "tight" swim through & he had to work a bit to get through. Yikes! I would definitely have had some sort of freak out session in there. Icky. Dark & scary tunnels. No way. However, the dive was enjoyable for me for sure. The coral formations were incredible & the wide open swim-thrus that I went through were great. To end the dive we saw a baby Queen Triggerfish! Even younger than the one we had seen earlier in the day! Yeah!! We also watched two huge Conchs working their way across the sandy sea floor, "racing." They work so hard to move with their super-ginormous shells. It's really funny to watch. They stick out their googly eyes, lift their shell, move it forward while moving their eyes back into shell & repeat process. Entertainment at its finest.

We headed back home &
Another photo of us on the dock.Another photo of us on the dock.Another photo of us on the dock.

The resort is in the background this time.
the wind had really picked up. Big waves for the ride back. The beaches on Cayo Pequeno are so beautiful. There is nobody who uses them & they are like something out of a movie. So pristine & perfect.

Back at home we decided to enjoy the sun on the dock. Mainly because you can watch fish swim underneath & the sand flies don't bother you as much there as they do on land. They are annoying & persistent. But oh well. We enjoyed a drink & got grief from Mike because we're supposed to go on a night dive. (Not sure that's going to happen, still tired from yesterday). Instead we utilized our time & did some great snorkeling. The fish around the house reef are great. There is just too much to see!

After all the sun we needed a little nap time. We decided to skip the night dive tonight & just enjoy the sunset & the evening & relax & probably go to bed really early. 😉 So sleepy! Dinner was fun & delicous. Lasagna! Sooo good! We are having such a great time here. The diving is amazing & the company is just
Our roomate.Our roomate.Our roomate.

He was always nice enough to say goodnight (& to eat the mosquitos).
as good. Getting back on the buses to begin the next part of our journey will be tough for sure. We did end up in bed early. We were all tired. We've been keeping these guys busy with all our diving & talking & staying up late. It's not just us who want to go to bed early. Whew!

Our last day here tomorrow.....sooo sad.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb