Haiti - Land of High Mountains


Advertisement
Haiti's flag
Central America Caribbean » Haiti » North-West
December 12th 2010
Published: December 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I've learned a few things about Haiti as I am currently living here. Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere, with 50% of the population under 20yrs of age, has the highest AIDS rate in the hemisphere, the lowest literacy rate, a population density of 350 km^-2, and the greatest corruption in government.

I was only in Cap Haitian for an afternoon but I saw a dirty city, extending into the hills, with garbage ringing the coastline. Cap Haitian is the centre of the cholera outbreak and the riots. There are nearby river flats where rice and other crops grow. I was happy to leave, although there is some local history that is supposed to be amazing. THere is an old fort built on the ocean cliffs and a massive Citadel on the mountain that is totally untouched by commercialism or tourism.

I am now staying at a stalled land development project. We call it a "Resort" but it's not really true. It was originally financed with American money to sell as vacation homes to rich Haitians or foreigners. Someone in the government didn't want the developer to succeed and gain more power in the region so they sat on the permit applications. The economic and housing crisis hit the States and all the money disappeared and now we've got a pretty nice partially built resort to stay at. THe coast is actually pretty amazing. A long stretch of coral cliffs with Caribbean blue water crashing against it. There are goats in the surrounding fields and mountains behind us to the South. It is pretty stunning. Really pleasant weather too, warm with a bit of a sea breeze.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb