Lago de Atitlan, San Pedro La Laguna, GUATEMALA


Advertisement
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

It´s just so hard to leave, say goodbye...Guatemala, so engaging and diverse, so yes, I made just one last stop before heading out.

San Pedro, on beautiful Lago de Atitlan. "Welcome to Paradise," a neighboring village sign reads. While San Pedro has no such sign, having given all my senses illumination, a paradise it certainly felt.

A shock of change. Where is this from there, that village just 8 hours north, in the chill of the mountians. Todos Santos, the village of simple rugged stillness, with the one comedora of four young women, sixteen years shaping and grilling tortillas, while keeping book in that wide-ruled, school kid notebook. The typico boiled pollo con tomato, served and fed the men who worked the dig of the towns new irregation system up on the hill.

No, not far did I travel from the Todos Santos, where the Chachumantes mountains stand as a spotlight backdrop to the valley town. A town where the cold winds and dense fog sweeps through everynight shutting down the town by eight, as I slept soundly at this hour, below the stars, to the sound of dog shouting and Iglesia preaching out the village center loud speakers.

Where is this from there? This is San Pedro, seeminly colonised by European and North American vacationers, who loved it so much, they still haven´t made a decision to leave.
It´s Seattle (WA), but with sun, venice beach (CA), without cars, Williamsburg (NYC), without the prestige, Austin (TX), in a land of mayans, not cowboys.

Feels like walking the streets of venice, in the way I found myself wandering around trails, alleys, cordors, finding hidden bar´s, shop´s, eateries, in the romance of night and waking of sunrise. Walking, thinking, become my pastime, getting lost in the this lake village of sandy paths through lush garden patches- relying on only a sense of direction or simply chance, to find my way. The slow, dreamy, small town attitude of- look and ye shall find- streets with no names, or locations on maps, serves it´s travelers well, for they are those who run the tourist industry.

The locals love their Village, San Pedro La Laguna. They are frusterated by their inability to invest in their own property. They too want to serve the high end of hospitality, but this is a third world nation, and they are it´s citizens. The locals love their village, and they want it back.

Home to over 30 Mayan diversities, the indigenous of San Pedro and all of Lago de Atitlan live in the shadows.


Advertisement



6th February 2007

Online Journal was a great idea
Its great reading your story. This is really a trip of a lifetime. Can't wait until you get pictures up. Travel safely and keep posting. Wondering where your adventure takes you next.
27th February 2007

amazing
This all sounds amazing. And seriously - thanks for sharing these updates on the trip. I know that you can't come close to capturing the experience with words or pictures, but you're doing a pretty good job of taking me there just a little. I was just reading about a the chachapoya and it made me think of you. I'll see you sooner than later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chachapoya http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuelap

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb