Panajachel en Lago de Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

This weekend Wendy and I ventured to Lago de Atitlan, which is a beautiful lake beside three volcanos. In total, there are 33 volcanos in Guatemala, four of which are active. (Wendy and I plan to climb one of the active volcanos for my birthday tomorrow!) It was made thousands of years ago after one of the volcanoes errupted and created a huge crater that later became the lake as we know it. The car trip to the lake was unbelievable. Unbelievable because it is amazing that we didn´t die on the winding roads and that our the transmission in our minibus didn´t burn up.

On Saturday, we booked a boat ride to three towns. We only paid ten dollars each and were supposed to receive a public boat ride, with no guide or lunch. However, somehow we ended up touring the towns (pueblos) with a smaller group and with a personal guide who spoke english! It was an excellent deal because we saved about $40 US per person.

First we visited the pueblo of San Pedro, which is famous for attracting hippies. In the 1960´s-1970´s many hippies lived in San Pedro. I guess they liked living in San Pedro because the way of life is very tranquil and slow. While in San Pedro, Wendy and I visited a pretty Catholic church and witnessed the native dress of the mayan farmers. Needless to say, I can´t see either of our fathers wearing boots, flowing capris pants, long colored belts and a cowboy hat to work (at least not my dad, Wendy´s dad probably does wear a cowboy hat to work). The next pueblo we visited was Santiago Atitlan, the home of the mayan god, Maximon. Apparently, Maximon visits each house and stays for a while, or that season, either way I am not sure. But tourists can pay to enter someone´s house and take a picture of the god. I didn´t pay to enter, but Wendy did and may choose to share the sacred picture with you at a later time. The last pueblo we visited was San Antonio. In San Antonio we witnessed how the Mayan men and women make tapistries, clothing, and pottery. It was very fascinating.

On our trip to Panajachel Wendy and I enjoyed the view. We were both very impressed with the agricultural lifestyle of the Mayan people. They rent land on the sides of the steep volcanos and mountains and farm small plots of corn, coffee, and beans. They also fish Black Bass, which I had the oppurtunity to sample at dinner later that night. It tasted fishy to me; nothing uniquely special.

Saturday night, we relished in watching ´Somethings Gotta Give.´ It was wonderful! I don´t know what I enjoyed more, the hot shower and movie in english or the lake. Just kidding, of course I enjoyed the lake more.

Advertisement



1st August 2006

LOOKS BEAUTIFUL..HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY...
1st August 2006

What Day Is This
Hoping you can hear the music - Happy Birthday To You - hummmmm mmmm huuummmm - we decided our voices were awful so we are huming, but the message is the same. What a dear and beautiful young lady you have become . . . . and many more. oxoxoxoxox
1st August 2006

Happy B Day
Happy Birthday, it's nearly August 1 here. How about an inactive volcano instead! Have a good day and take plenty of b-day pics!!
3rd August 2006

Happyyyyyy Birthday!!!! It's good to hear you're having a great time. I love this blog thing! Love Ya, Tamara

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb