La Laguna Chikabal


Advertisement

On Friday night I went to Royal Paris, a French restaurant, with some of the girls from my host family. My friend Hugo, who I met through Boni (from Casa Xelaju office) and who I used to play music with, is in the group that was playing. They are called Sombrero Negro and their a latin-jazz/folk group that sounds really good. They have a guy who sings and plays a mean flamenco-esque style guitar, a guy who plays alto and tenor sax, a girl who sings, a foreigner who plays clarinet, Hugo on all types of precussion, and a girl who plays everything (while dancing). We stayed out late, thus making it hard to get up this morning (Saturday, May 13) at 6 am.

Today I took the students to La Laguna Chikabal. It is a caldera that now has a lake inside that is incredibly deep in the center (the depth unknown). It is a rough hike up but completely worth the trek - especially the Mirador (see picture). It is considered the "Center of Maya-Mam Cosmovision" and is very sacred (no swimming) and many ceremonies are performed on its shores. Actually one was performed today. It has similar significance of Lake Atitlan to the Maya-Kachiquel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb