Back to Antigua via Chichi market


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Another early morning and we are on the road toward Antigua. George, Dana and I had breakfast at a wonderful little restaurant along the alley in San Pedro, Jim was not feeling well enough to move from the bed just yet and was gathering strength for the day. Today Dana and I ordered French Toast with fresh fruit, I have to say it was probably one of the best meals of French Toast I have ever eaten, there was no need for syrup as the toast was full of cinnamon and was light and tasty, with the fruit adding just the right amount of sweetness to the meal. Back at the hotel, Jim took a Cipro and was starting to pick up a bit, at least he felt well enough to travel. Again in the trucks we set off for the market in Chichi, another long and winding road, not to mention the pot holes which could almost swallow up the truck if you hit them. The drive took about 2 ½ hours as we had to travel at such a slow pace to avoid the holes in the road and places where the road had actually collapsed and tumbled down the mountain. Once at Chichi I set out with Dana to bargain for whatever we desired, with Jim tucked up in the lobby of the hotel keeping company with the parrots there. Dana was amazed at the market with the many vendors and stalls everywhere you looked, not to mention the sellers who would approach you endlessly with their wears for sale. “buy this for your friends, or buy this for your enemy”..... whoever you want to buy whatever you want for, it was just an attack of sound and colour for the senses. We met Jim in the market who was feeling marginally better and managed to buy himself a really nice jacket. After 2 ½ hours of bargaining, we had purchased just about all we needed, meeting with the others back at the hotel to regroup and set off for Antigua again.



We arrived in Antigua in the late afternoon, settling into the Posada Merced for the next two nights. Jim sent off and email to Adrenalina tours and we are planning a trip up the volcano Pacaya early in the morning with the afternoon free to relax before we head for home on Saturday. This has been one whirlwind visit for sure.



Dinner was not really planned so we went for a walk with Tom, George, Dana, Jim and myself and found our way to a nice restaurant just off the central square. The food was again a taste experience, with my choice of a liquado to drink being the highlight of my meal. ( a liquado is a slurry of fruit mixed with either water, milk or yogurt). To me the liquado is like a dessert, I usually order pinia (pineapple) in yogurt, but today I had it mixed with strawberry and it was delightful.

Off to bed early again as tour bus for the Volcano arrives at 6 AM and we are off to climb the mountain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb