Just One More...


Advertisement
Published: March 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So after another marathon trip across Guatemala, I find myself in Lanquin, just outside of Semuc Champey. I made it to Copan yesterday, but since there was so much rain the shuttles had stopped running to Lanquin. I stayed in a beautiful little place called Hostal de Dona Victoria. It has a nice garden courtyard which is surrounded by an overhang filled with wooden sculptures and a collection of masks and other unique items.

This morning I hopped a shuttle up to Lanquin. Now here's the thing. When you jump on a chicken bus you expect to be pummeled by as many bodies as they can cram into the damn thing. On a shuttle it should be a straight shot to your destination, no extra passengers, supposedly a great little trip. However, this is Guatemala.

How many people can you fit into a shuttle bus that sits 14 people including the driver?

At last count we had 1 American, 2 Italians, 23 Guatemalans, and 1 pig in a sac on the roof.

Where do you put more people when the inside is full?

On the ladder outside the shuttle of course.

So, I ask you…
How many people can you fit into a Guatemalan shuttle bus?

Always…just one more.


Advertisement



6th March 2006

One more then
LOL... As long as the weight of the bus doesn't impair the drivers ability to drive fast enough to scare all the Americans aboard, there is always room for one more.
7th March 2006

Guate Roller Coaster
At one point I was worried that we wouldn’t make it up a hill, but once we reached the top the weight kept the momentum going. The other great think about Guatemala is they don’t believe in guard rails on mountain roads, and they love passing on corners. It’s kind of like riding a roller coaster that can come off its tracks at any moment.
25th April 2006

Memorial wreaths
The memorial wreaths dotting the sides of the road, especially in "hair-pin curves" in Guatamala, put fear in my heart and I wondered if the installers survived that act...

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb