Coban Shomban/ Stupid Army Day


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So our update this time is quite an uninteresting one but I'm going to write about it none the less.

Casa Da'Cuña, where we had to switch due to the lack of space at our heavenly first hostel Casa Luna, ended up being the biggest downfall and only regret of this entire trip. We ended up eating dinner at the restaraunt connected with the hotel because it was close and we didn't feel like trekking out again after our failed first attempt during the day to do something fun and productive. The waiter that had waited on us earlier in the day greeted us very kindly and showed us to our reserved table in which he had placed flowers and a couple of bottles of wine. That was a very nice gesture and I think he really enjoyed us because we were just about the only young people there. We ordered lasagna and pesto alfredo and opted for a nice bottle merlot. When our meals arrived we were very excited to dig in but before we could the waiter brought over two giganitc bibs and tried to get us to put them on. We looked around the dining area to see that know one else was wearing them and we actually felt a little offended. Like, did we look like messy eaters or why was he all of a sudden treating us like children? After a lot of no gracias' he finally backed off and we were free to eat our meals in peace...well not after taking several funny pictures of eachother chowing down with the bibs on (again sorry...you´ll get to see the pics soon enough)!

Finally full and quite sleepy we decided to head to bed early and enjoy being able to sleep in. We realized this was not going to happen when the loud music they were playing in the restaraunt was STILL playing after midnight and the cooks and servers continually ran through the hallway in front of our door shouting commands at eachother and just making a lot of ruccas! The night was long and uncomfortable and we awoke at about 6am to more loud music! Not to mention that the bathrooms, which were shared between 12 dorm style rooms, were toally nasty and filthy and using them was even more uncomfortable because you were right next to the kitchen so everyone knew what kind of business was going on inside.

Needless to say we were quite grumpy this morning and not feeling refreshed at all. Our shuttle to Antigua was leaving at 9am so we needed to get some breakfast before the 6 hour journey so we headed in to town to find a little, cheap place to eat. Again, we fell totally short and could not find anywhere because today is Sunday and this country pretty much shuts down on Sundays or doesn't open until 10am or after. With much disdain and frustration we headed back to our hotel which seemed to be the only place that was open to eat and shared a plate of pancackes.

The shuttle arrived on time but as we tried to get in to the van no one would move there butts to let the four of us that were getting on at that time in! This just added to our already sour moods and the fact that everyone inside seemed to be in a bad mood made the ride especially uncomfortable.

We are finally back here in Antigua and are staying at a place called Casa Shalom. Its filled with Israelie tourists and we are the only Americans, which isn't a bad thing, just quite funny because the whole trip we've been running in to groups of people and trying to place their accents only to realize now that most of them have been from Israel?! Strange indeed, but they are friendly people. Tomorrow we are planning on going out to a place that is a coffee farm, textile and musical instruments museum, as well as an entire display about Maximon (YES!!!!!). Hopefully the place will be open and we'll be able to pick up some awesome Guatemalan beans for our numerous coffee loving friends and family.

One last day here to spend in this amazing country and Tuesday we'll be back in the states (a mix of boo´s and yeah´s).

See you all very, very soon!
love,
Em & Cam

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb