Guatemala - Going to Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok i was very happy to leave Antigua , it was very nice there for the few days but in the Holy friday it was crazy , i wanted to go get something to eat but it was impossible , the cheap fastfood places were packed with people , the line was going outside the shop , and the cheap resterounts were full as well , my only chance was the markets whice were full but reasonable but the damn possations blocked my way , it was impossible to cross the street and getting to the markets , i was walking 5 blocks trying to bypass it but the crowds of people there didnt allow to pass ..

And the most important i was happy to leave Antigua becuase i got sick there i dont know why or what but i was ... , well i´ll save the good discriptions i was just sick there , and the weird thing is that everyone i met there was sick as well , the people in the place i was staying were all sick .

so i went to a place called Cobañ whice is a place on the way to semoc champey my real destanation , but i arrived there quite late around 5 in the evening and the last bus has already left ..
it wasnt easy getting to Cobañ i didnt want to spent money on an expensive shuttle so i went on the cheap buses to Guatemala city and from there to Cobañ , what i HATE in central America is that they dont know what a central bus station is , every bus terminal to diffrent destanation is far from the other terminals so when i asked how can i get from where i was to the terminal to Cobañ they told me to take the bus to 19th street and 7th av , only problem is that none of the buses was going there , every bus told me to take the other bus or other direction and when i asked the other buses they said the same ..
eventoally i toke a random bas and get off as close as possible , where i asked people , the bad thing is i thought people know but they all sent me in a general diraction :
yes go 7 blocks up and 2 right , after 5 blocks i asked agian :
sure , go 5 blocks up and 2 left ... err keep walking and asking :
oh , go 3 blocks up and 1 right .. well at least im close , so i walked and asked a policeman :
yes , go 1 block down and 3 right .. what .. ok so his a policeman he ought to know .. but :
oh its close , go 3 blocks up and 2 left ... etc etc ..
i spent about an hour walking with my damn backpack on my back up and down this streets untill i finnely found the station ..

In Cobañ it wasnt easy to find a place to stay as i had no idea where to go i just followed the signs saying : hotel .. the first two places were creepy , i think in one of them was a bee hive or something becuase there were houndreds of bees there some dead some alive when i saw it i quickly backed away and got out .
I think someone was playing a hox on the tourists there becuase i walked about 700m after signs saying hotel and when i got to a large street and i see no hotel in the end i returned to a place that wasnt that cheap but was ok .
In this night i understand two things :
1 - why threres hotels all over central america even in small places ?
becuase local people dont have privecy in thier houses ... whice means that in almost every hotel you can rent a room by the hour .
2 - why i got sick ?
becuase from the second floor of the hotel i could see the kitchen of the resturent downstairs
and what i saw was a cement sink with portions of fresh meat recently chooped and a chicken walking on them and everyonce in a while taking a bite off the meat ..
the owners thought i was looking at the chicken and laughted and said : thats tommarows dinner ..
- more highgine stories in Livingston cheapter !!!

In Cobañ theres nothing much to do , i stayed there a day and went to a coffe museom , a nice one where they grow thier own coffe trees and have all the mechinery neccery to make it to a drinking coffe , unlike the coffe museom in San cristovel Mexico , whice focused on the social effects of coffe grow in central america this museom only focused on how to make coffe .

After a day in that hotel i found a cheaper place much cleaner (Horror stories avialable on demand) and i moved there , rested a little and the day after i went to Semuc Champey ,
A very nice place whice biggest attraction there is a few pools of water , its completely isolated , to get there is like 3 hours driving in a dirt road whice was one of the scariest ive had becuase of course all the drivers are overspeeding on a blindturns in a way only with one lane with a two way traffic ..

The hostel i was staying in was really nice nothing there but the hostel and the river but it was full with scandinavian people that didnt really like talking in English ..
The day after i toke a tour to the caves there really fun tour you go to a cave with nothing more than a candle that sometimes fall to the water and had to be lit agian .. in there were waterfalls deep pools i had to swim throw , natural water slides , natural water jump and a place you can swim throw an underground hole ... really nice ..
only the caves worth the horrible getting to this place and out of there ..

In Semoc Champey i was sleeping with :
Big spiders , Lizards , Various flying objects .


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb