How we lived at Casa Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My Bunk BedMy Bunk BedMy Bunk Bed

Here's where I slept part of the time I was at the Casa. Mesquito nets keep out the rats, roaches and spiders if your lucky.
Hola,

After looking through some pictures and videos from my trip I realized I never really posted anything about our living conditions. So, here are some pictures and a video of our surroundings at Casa Guatemala.
The run down...

Every morning we woke up to the sounds of the pigfarm next door. If you've ever heard pigs being fed you'll know it sound just about the same as them being slowly slaughtered, it's terribly loud and annoying. Additionally, before that takes place we here the sounds of roosters and howler monkeys at 3am and 5am. (I thought roosters crowed at daybreak only?) Once we wake up we usually take a trip to the showers which are extremely cold in the morning but rather refreshing in the evenings. Then we sit down for some warm or room temperature cereal made with powdered milk.

Depending on when we have classes it's usually time to go hang out on the porch until class, either in a hammock or benches. We usually talk about the kids, the classes or things we miss from back home that we take so much for granted. When it's time for class we take a walk to
Our Living RoomOur Living RoomOur Living Room

We rarely used this as a living room and more as a stashing room for books and stuff.
the classroom and begind working with the kids.

As the day winds down some of us begin to make our dinner while others eat with the kids in the comedor. And once it becomes dark the water is shut off so we stock up, put some on the stove and light some candles. We then hang out talking and listen to some music from various countries and genres. Then it's to bed, sometimes sweating yourself to sleep and sometimes just managing through the warm nights without to much discomfort.

Every Wednesday and Saturday we have the opportunity to go into town by boat to buy groceries, eat some good food at the Sun Dog and then drink and dance at Hotel Backpackers until 1am. On Saturdays and Sundays we play games all day with the kids, swimming, soccer "football", and other various activities. At night we also rotate a one hour block of activities where the kids go nuts listening to Michael Jackson and various genres like Reggaetone, Punta and other local music.


That pretty well describes a day in the life of a volunteer 😊

Good Times, Buenos Tiempos


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

With the latest upgrades in tile, granite and stainless steel appliances.
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

Our sink, stove and dishes all washed with cold water and soap.
BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

Our showers and toilets. That's Pilar washing her clothes in a bucket.
ToiletsToilets
Toilets

Our toilets with the best ameneties. It's nice to be able to throw toilet tishue into the toilet and not a plastic bag.
Pig FarmPig Farm
Pig Farm

1 of 10 pigs


5th September 2008

Haha nice one mate, eventually found ur blog

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb