Montessori in the Barrio


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I’ve been helping out in a class in a Montessori based kindergarten here at UPAVIM which has been an exciting experience for me. This is a school not unlike the school Maria Montessori started in the slums of Rome in 1906. There aren't many materials, but a great interest in improving the lives of children in a poor neighborhood. These teachers here have little Montessori training and not very many materials, but a hunger to learn. I am by no means a qualified Montessori trainer, but as a Montessori trained teacher I can pass on some of my knowledge and help present some materials. They seem so happy to get some new information and direction. I’m hoping that I can help point them in the right direction and lead them to information that will inspire them to learn more.

The children at this school are luckier than some. They get to go to school and get at least two meals a day on school days. They are learning to read and write at a young age. They aren’t in the squatters camps and don’t have to work to help support the family. They are still extremely poor and live in an incredibly dangerous area, but no matter where a child lives, she should be able to get the best education available.

Photos



There are a bunch of photos waaaaaay down at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to the bottom of this page or double-click on the pictures to see more photos connected with this blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

reans and rice


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb