Trivia Night


Advertisement
Published: January 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our Trivia TeamOur Trivia TeamOur Trivia Team

Taking our free shots for getting 10/10 on the history round.
So this blog update is going to be an excerpt from my friend Harrison as he has blogged a much better summary than I can remember.

But yeah to give you the jist we went to pub trivia Monday night at Reillys (the local Irish bar) and it was very eventful. Now Harrison will tell you the rest.

"Ate my incredibly unsatisfying dinner at 6:30 (frijoles and bread), and then Justin, Inshiya, Tatiana, Liam and I headed over to Reilly’s for trivia. It’s a 5 person max per team, so we were already set. Justin and Inshiya I should remind you, are the married couple that just moved into my house Sunday. Justin is from Las Vegas, they both live there now, and Inshiya’s family is from India but she was born and raised in Dubai before moving to Las Vegas. Pretty interesting couple. They are REALLY cool though, which you will soon discover.

We arrived at Reilly’s around 7:30 thinking trivia would start immediately, but it didn’t start until 8:15. It gave us time to lube up the pipes with some Brahva’s (cheap beers), tequila, and spicy peanuts. We had a very well cultured team seeing as
Another of the TeamAnother of the TeamAnother of the Team

We are the champions!
we had Two Americans (one 22 years old, one 32 years old: good age range), a German (19 years old), an Indian that grew up in Dubai (29 years old), and an Australian that lived in the UK for 18 years (23 years old). There were about 6 or 7 other teams, but I was feeling very confident with our skill set.

Q20 per team. 5 categories, 10 questions each. Each question is worth a point. At the end of two rounds you pass your sheet to the left to be graded by another group. If you have a perfect round, your team gets free tequila shots. Pretty straightforward. And the gay guy with the microphone reads the questions while just being extremely gay. You know, being all sassy and telling weird jokes. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Just trying to set the scene.

First round was Geography and Nature. Ehhhhh not my forte. Nature MAYBE but geography? Not my best subject. No offense Mrs. Marconi, you were a great teacher. We went 6 for 10 in the first round, so we were thinking, “Well, maybe next week.”

Second round was History. FAHHHKKK, I HATE
Liam the CleanerLiam the CleanerLiam the Cleaner

Yeah self explanatory.
history. It has always been my worst subject. I basically told everyone that I wouldn’t be able to contribute. Fortunately, Liam is a history BUFF and Justin being a “trivia geek” (as his wife described him) helped that round as well. The highlight that NO other team got right was the question, “What is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world?” After thinking for about 30 seconds, Liam pulled “Damascus” out of his ass, and it was right. Damascus is the capital of Syria located in the southwest part of the country, and has been inhabited since the 2nd millennium BC. Incredible. We went perfect that round, and earned our team free tequila shots. So in that sense, we already earned our money back. Each shot is about Q25 and we got 5 of them, so we were already up about Q100 as a team.

Third round was stupid, but hilarious. They give you a movie title, and you have to think of the porn name for that title. For example, Saving Private Ryan… Shaving Ryan’s Privates; V for Vendetta… V for Vagina; The Terminator…The Sperminator; ok I’ll stop. Justin was SO good at that shit, and it
Party at ReillysParty at ReillysParty at Reillys

The party continues!
was actually kind of creeping his wife out. He came back with, “What? I didn’t get married till I was 29.” Hilarious. We went 8 for 10 that round, which is actually very good for a porn name parallel round.

Fourth round was culture. No real highlights there, and we went 8 for 10 again. Very good. So we were giving ourselves a legitimate shot with that perfect round in round 2 and our 8 point rounds afterwards.

Finally round 5 was music, YES!!!! THIS IS MY SHIT. It was also a double points round, in that the artist is a point and the song is a point. They played short 3 second clips of songs and we had to guess what it was. I’m not even gonna lie; I killed it. I hadn’t contributed too too much before this round, but I was on fire, pulling names like Jamiroquai-Canned Heat, and Bob Sinclair- World, Hold On out of my ass. WE GOT ANOTHER PERFECT ROUND ON THE DOUBLE POINTS ROUND!!! So at this point we are already drunk and the bar comes over and pours us more free shots. We were already up about Q225 as a team and at this point we thought we could actually win the whole thing, which is Q480 CASH.

The suspense was killing us as they tallied up the final scores. Finally after 10 minutes, they cut the music and said, “We have a tie.” AHHHHHH COULD THIS BE ANY CRAZIER!!!!! “We have a tie between ‘Yo No Quiero Agua’ (that’s our team name; it’s a shitty but hilarious Pitbull song that is incredibly popular here) and ‘Trivia Newton John’” Whattaya know. Remember the Gay, Jewish, Canadian kid that tried to convince me Birth Right was a huge scam a couple weeks ago at Mono Loco? Justin? It was fucking HIS team that we tied with.

So they said, “Each team send a representative up front for the tiebreaker.” We picked Liam because he was the best at trivia. Little did we know it would be a fucking CHUGGING contest. They gave Liam and Justin each a pitcher of beer. At this point, the bar is packed and everyone is going NUTS. “ON YOUR MARK!! GET SET!!! GOOO!!” and they were off. Slowly but surely the beer was going down. Liam was the smarter one as he was pouring some of it down his arm onto his shirt, but what are they gonna do disqualify him?? There were honestly probably 3 or 4 lead changes in the about 40 second chugging session, and the suspense was AMAZING. Justin would stop chugging for a second, then Liam would stop; it was great back and forth action. Finally… LIAM FINISHES FIRST!!! BY A HAIR!!!!!!! WE WON!!!!!! OUR TEAM WENT INSANE!!!!! Q480 CASH!!!!!

So then, the the bartender asked, over the microphone of course, if we would like to deduct 1/3 of our payout to buy shots for every trivia team member. We of course, like the legends we were at the time, said yes and the bar went nuts again. It was AWESOME. So we figure out the money situation (which we ended up using to pay our tab anyways), and finally we ask the bartender if the “shots we bought for every team” includes our own team. He said yes, and we got more free shots. So we all cheers the shot glasses, and next thing I know, Liam disappears out of the corner of my eye. He is fucking booting all over the floor in the MIDDLE OF THE BAR!!!!! Like, HEAVING EVERYWHERE. After three episodes, there was shit literally ALL over the floor, and he comes up and says, “Tequila really isn’t my thing man.” I didn’t know what to do, laugh? Puke? Cry? I laughed hysterically for about 10 minutes.

The bar was trying to kick him out, but then they told him that if he wants to stay, he either cleans it up himself, or pays Q200. He cleaned it up himself. Pictures of him mopping up his vomit on the way. AHH I wish I could tell this in person. It’s an incredible story. There was so much puke on the floor he eventually just accepted it, and was spitting on the floor rather than going to the bathroom.

After cleaning up his shit, he sipped on a pitcher of water they gave him. I’ll give the kid a break, he had 5 beers and 2 tequila shots in his stomach, and had JUST chugged a pitcher of beer. I probably would have done the same thing. It’s still hilarious though."

So to sum up pub trivia was fucking awesome...take note Griffith law school social people. No questions about Justin Beiber were on this quiz!

Well not much other news other than tomorrow is my last day teaching the kids I've been teaching all along. Quite sad really as I've become quite attached and a few of them will speak English if they keep at it. Anyways going for a 3 day 45km hike this weekend so expect my next blog entry to contain many gorgeous pictures of Guatemala.

Advertisement



12th January 2012

You\'re a worry comrade!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb