Of beans & ruins


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is a really long entry with 4 days worth of impressions, so bear with me.

Endured an uneventful & boring 23+ hrs plane trip via LA & Miami. Travelling on a foreign passport guarantees you will be thoroughly checked in the US. Don't they know JH & GWB are bosom buddies? Best not to crack any jokes; this is no laughing matter. Just have to be patient & bear it. Strangely fascinating though watching my iPod, camera & boots getting tested for explosives residue. After an overnighter in Miami, I was starving not having eaten for 18 hrs. Rocked up to the free continental brekky comprising all-you-can-eat waffles, eggs, sausages, porridge, plus the usual fruits & cereals & breads. You have to hand it to the Yanks, they know how to eat!

Another 2.5 hrs plane ride, and I finally arrived in Guatemala. I've headed out of the airport looking for a shuttle bus to Antigua, and all of a sudden I hear - "MAAAATE, how many quetzals to Antigua?". Yikes, I couldn't believe that the 1st voice I heard was from some guy from Adelaide.

Jack told me that there's nothing in Guate but jungle as he's seen "Survivor", but he couldn't be more wrong. Antigua is a gorgeous little town with colonial ruins, multi-coloured buildings (reminds me of Bo Kaap in Cape Town, and Curacao in the Dutch Antilles), cobblestone streets, and surrounded by mountains & also a nearby active volcano (Volcan Pacaya).

Arrived in Antigua & promptly got lost looking for my hotel. No matter. After finally locating it & checking in (Hotel la Casa de Don Ismael), I decided to get a sandwich and sit in Parque Central (where everyone hangs out) and soak up the scenery next to the 250 year old fountain with carved women & their shooting breasts. No prob's getting some quetzals; heaps of ATM's. Exchange rate to the Aussie peso is approx $4.80.

Afterwards went into the Catedral de San Jose & said a couple of prayers for a safe trip and for family/friends back home. My mum told me that she will be praying for me twice a week until I come home. When I told her that may be around Xmas, she exclaimed that's a lot of praying. Told her not to kneel or she will bugger up her 2 knee reconstructions. Afterwards went
Convento De Las CapuchinasConvento De Las CapuchinasConvento De Las Capuchinas

Rough abode for the nuns in the 18th century
for a ramble through the neighbourhood. Beautiful.

Felt pretty buggered through lack of sleep & jet lag, so grabbed some dinner at a small comedor around the corner from the hotel. Had to take a photo when the food came - chicken, guacamole, salsa, corn tortillas, & potatoes all for Q20 (approx A$4). Yummy and cheap, it was manna from heaven. The novelty will wear off.

Got back to the hotel and had a chat to the owner's son in my pidgin spanglish. He said my spanish was better than his english. Then again we're probably talking about a low base since I've seen heaps of spanish schools in town but no english ones.

The hotel showers have an electric head which heats the water. Best not to touch it whilst the water's running. The hotel staff also subscribe to the cleanliness is next to godliness mantra. No sooner are you done than someone is in there cleaning & tidying and putting the little "V" in the toilet paper. Very quaint.

Crashed for 13 hours. Had brekky at Dona Luisa's. Top choice is Huevos Rancheros - eggs covered in salsa with kidney beans. Don't stand too close to a naked flame. Plenty of fresh orange juice too. You won't starve here in Guate. Weather's perfect about 27 degrees, and the sun is fierce, but it's a dry heat. I'm going to have a lazy day today, and conserve my energy for Mini's arrival tomorrow. Tried one of the local brews tonight - Gallo.

Mini arrived on the 6th, and the smoking volcano is freaking her out. We got some brekky at Cafe Condesa, had a whistle stop tour of Antigua, booked our shuttle to Panajachel (Lake Atitlan) for tomorrow, and bought some souvenir fridge magnets. We are the only 2 Asians in town. Mini crashed out & had a siesta before we both got a massage this arvo. Dipped in a vat of baby oil, rubbed and pummelled, which was pure bliss. Off to pack and have an early night as our bus arrives at 8am. Buenas noches.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th April 2006

Beans
So does everyone get tested for explosive residues over there??
7th April 2006

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmh ..........
am considering squandering squillions of quetzels for a last minute booking to secure a 3 day pampered easter break in langkawi / phuket, and am very envious. Am going to become extremely restless reading 8 months travelogue Take care
10th April 2006

langkawi
langkawi sounds fun-ner... hey ges... how's it dangling? :.)
28th November 2006

Nice
I'm not really sure if travelblog will alert you after I leave this note. So it might be that you'll never know about this note. Anyway, I just noticed your "Moses" post (nice pics!), then read on your profile that you're taking a one year sabbatical traveling around the world. Out of curiosity, I checked on your first blogs, and voila! what a great surprise to see you chose Guate as your first place to visit. Even more glad to see you chose the "Arco" as your featured Antigua photo (my family owns a property in that street, nearby the Arch, so the Arch is like part of the family). I have no choice but to subscribe to your entries. :) Enjoy your trip -ac

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb