We are now in Antigua


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Flores to Antigua


Leaving FloresLeaving FloresLeaving Flores

We are travelling with two back packs and two duffle bags..mine, as you have probably guessed, is the heaviest!
After an 8 hour bus ride (first class), then a taxi ride and then another one and a half hour bus ride (this time on a local bus), we are in Antigua, the former colonial capital of Guatemala.

On the way here from Flores, we went through rainforest, jungle, into farmland and then into almost desert before climbing into the mountains to Guatelmala City. The city is huge and sprawling and poor for the most part. There are armed guards in many places, since crime is high. A guard hailed a taxi for us at the bus station and made sure we were on our way with a reputable driver.

Some background on the buses here: all the basic public transport is on old school buses (I saw one today from Greenwich CT!) and these stop anywhere to pick up passengers until no more can be jammed in. (Actually we´ve never seen anyone refused, so I'm not sure when they stop loading people in!) We took one here from Guatemala City tonight. Since we got on at the terminal, we had seats as did our bags. The driver was a maniac on the winding mountain roads, and didn't slow
Guatemala countryside viewed from the busGuatemala countryside viewed from the busGuatemala countryside viewed from the bus

This was coming into the mountains before Guatemala City.
down even after the police stopped him once!


Antigua, the next day: We went on walking tour on our own today and visted a few ruins and a few churches. This city ( Antigua was settled in the 1500s) was destroyed by earthquakes more than once and some monasteries, churches, and convents were rebuilt each time, others abandoned at different times. The city is beautiful, surrounded by volcanoes and mountains, and full of old colonial buildings. It is a center for Spanish language schools so there are many foreigners here.

We will stay for a few weeks, studying Spanish, taking side trips, and enjoying the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

Our room in the Posada Don Diego..run by a young couple..quiet and with a pretty courtyard...$30 a night with private bath...
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

A typical street
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

One of the oldest structures here: an arch for nuns to cross the street without being seen.
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

In the ruins of a monastery...the monk who ran this was made a saint in 2002. There is a museum where you can se his things, including a rope shirt he wore under his robes. People have come to the church here for centuries for miracles. There is room full of photos, thank you notes, discarded crutches, and more. We haven't seen his crypt yet since today is Ash Wednesday and the church was full.
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

Facade of a ruined convent
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

The church across from our hotel. It is the oldest church here and still in use.


Tot: 0.64s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 27; qc: 112; dbt: 0.2998s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb