On Top of the World


Advertisement
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Chuck and LeilaChuck and LeilaChuck and Leila

at the church ruins in Anitgua
Antigua, Guatemala is a colonial city in a mountain valley at the base of Volcan Agua. The town was founded in the early 1500s as the capital city, which was later relocated to current-day Guatemala City.

The food was very good with many types to choose from; Mexican, Italian, Regional, Cuban, French, Asian, Fusion. Accommodations were reasonable and also offered a variety to choose from; up-scale and all-inclusive to low-end with shared bathroom.

Antigua featured many colonial churches to visit, some in complete ruin, others completely restored. We visited about a handful, and whether they were ruined or restored they were all beautiful.
We also walked through a craft market with many handcrafted items for sale. There was everything from toys to furniture, all priced very well. We bought a magnet with a picture of Maximon, who we visited in Santiago Atitlan.

While in Antigua, we went with a tour group to climb Volcan Pacaya. Pacaya is an active volcano about an hour drive from Antigua. The climb to the top takes about two hours and was quite a hike, first through forest, then across a high and narrow ridge (kind of like walking a tightrope), then over an old lava field, then up to the crater where there was an active lava flow. Chuck made it all the way up. I made it to within eyes view of the top, got scared and nervous, and turned back. When the ground kept sliding out from under my feet and the sky appeared to be sideways and I felt sure I would plummet to my death thousands of feet to the bottom, well, then, I had had enough. But, the view, even from my near to the top location was like nothing I had ever seen. We were on top of a volcano, surrounded by more volcanoes and above the clouds, literally on top of the world; it was breathtaking, beautiful, like being next to heaven.

One evening we had drinks at a Cuban bar and listened to live music; pretty good way to end a day.
Antigua was a great place to visit, definitely a place we would recommend to others. Friendly, clean, welcoming, with much to do and see. Again, though, we had to keep moving. Next stop Honduras.




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

100 Quetzales100 Quetzales
100 Quetzales

this view is the same as on the 100 quetzales bill
Jesus, Mary, and JosephJesus, Mary, and Joseph
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph

altar in a crypt
Volcan de FuegoVolcan de Fuego
Volcan de Fuego

from Pacaya
Leila on the ridgeLeila on the ridge
Leila on the ridge

seemed more like a tight rope at the time


13th January 2009

The hair-do may not be still in style. Maybe Chuck is 375 years old and just ages well. Enjoy your trip and keep adding new blogs for all of us to look at. I think it is very interesting. Love You, Mom

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb