Antigua - Day 13


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Antigua


Today we wandered around town on our last full day in Antigua and visited a couple of the churches. The town was originally built in the 1500s but has suffered multiple earthquakes on a fairly regular basis so just about every historical building has been built, destroyed, rebuilt, destroyed, and at some point left the way it was.

We first went to the Catedral Santiago, off Parque Central. We went inside and then explored the ruins in the rear. The church must have been huge when built but you could see the damage as we strolled through the ruins.

We followed that up with a visit to La Merced. It is in better shape, with a huge fountain in the center of the square (the book said it is the largest fountain in Latin America) and walls around the perimeter. We liked the cathedral better but La Merced was still interesting and worth seeing.

The town seemed to be much more lively last night and today with the weekend here, and we're looking forward to the Sunday market in Panajachel tomorrow. Off to buy our transport tickets!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb