On The Hard


Advertisement
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hauling Out 11 secs
Hauling OutHauling OutHauling Out

Jay drove the Rum Runner backwards into the pit, and after the straps got adjusted the Rum Runner was lifted out of the water.
Our plan for hurricane season this year was to stay in Grenada, so this is as far south as we were going to sail. But we decided to try something new. Instead of living on the boat thru all of hurricane season (which is downright miserable) we decided to put the boat on the hard and live on land, at least for 6 weeks. It was time for us to haul out anyways because we needed new bottom paint. It would also give us the opportunity to do some much needed maintenance on the boat that requires it to be out of the water; like replace the underwater lights, fix the bilge pump and other plumbing projects, check the cutlass bearing and pitch the prop, etc. And there was no way that we were going to live on the boat when it is on the hard. So it all made perfect sense. We scheduled to haul out the last week in August, for the entire month of September, and the first week in October. Basically, the worst months of hurricane season.

So yes, we are landlubbers again. After we got the boat hauled out and safely strapped down at the
Travel LiftTravel LiftTravel Lift

The Rum Runner on the travel lift. It just looks so bizarre!
boat yard (a tedious process) we moved into the Turtleback Pavilion. We found this villa on-line and thought it would be perfect. It is a small Mediterranean studio apartment on the Lance aux Epines Peninsula in Grenada, overlooking Secret Harbor. But the best part is the pool! We have loved our stay here and have taken full advantage of living on land again. We swim in the pool everyday and have had a multitude of dinner parties with our friends. And it has been great to take a break from living on the boat, which can get tiresome. There are just some things about living on land that you take for granted; like your house doesn’t rock and roll with the waves, you have all the running water and electricity you need, and you never have to worry about it sinking. It has been a much needed break for us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

On The HardOn The Hard
On The Hard

The Rum Runner all stapped down in the yard, safely tucked away for hurricane season.
Turtleback PavilionTurtleback Pavilion
Turtleback Pavilion

Jen enjoying the pool in our little Mediterranean Villa!
LandlubbersLandlubbers
Landlubbers

So great to live on land again- the whole family is happy!


7th October 2009

See, living on land isn't all that bad! Love, Dad P.S. Where would you like to have your land?
8th October 2009

Land Ho!
Yes, looking at land. Probably in St. Thomas or Florida- still can't decide. Pros and cons to both.

Tot: 0.474s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 165; dbt: 0.3607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb