Grenada


Advertisement
Published: March 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

9thMarch

1600 Depart Tobago and did an overnight sail, arrived Grenada 0830 on 10th. Anchored in Prickly Bay and need to do some work on our watermaker ( is leaking) and anchor winch (the spacer tube is broken in half and needs replacing.) Fixed watermaker by replacing o-rings and local guy welded our spacer tube back together until a spare part can be flown from NZ. Boomerang also in Prickly bay so had dinner and sundowners with them. Nice to be spending some time on boat – fixing, working and relaxing!!



13th March

Moved to St Georges to the marina. Looking forward to hot showers, doing some laundry, being flat on the water, and being able to step off the boat without a wet and sandy Zodi ride. Boy was I disappointed!! Showers looked amazing. Had own cubicles with toilets and shower – a big round head that should have cascaded heaps of water – but no, just a faint trickle and then....it was cold. Didn't have a shower that first night!!!! Can't do own laundry have to hand it over and they wash and dry it – won't bother, will do my own. First morning at 0630 fishing boat next door revvs engine for ages and really loud. Thanks. 2nd morning French boat next door has visitors 0700 and chat extremely loudly in their cockpit...thanks again. Was flat and calm for sleeping though!! Was going to hire a car but worked out almost the same money to take a taxi/tour guide. Went for a tour round the island and extremely glad we didn't drive ourselves. Absolutely no road signs, crazy local drivers and once again, many narrow, one lane roads!!! George, our tour guide was born and bred in Grenada and knew the island very well. He was Indian and his parents came out to work on the plantations. He was so knowledgeable and very lovely. We did all the highlights including the rainbow tree, abandoned Cuban airstrip and planes, Annandale waterfall, spice hut, chocolate factory, rum factory (a factory that is still run as it was 200years ago – all by water wheel to crush the sugarcane, fires to ferment the rum and the cane is harvested by hand using a machete – it is locally owned and employs 90 local people and makes extremely potent rum. So potent that thy can't sell it to those flying as airlines don't allow alcohol of that concentration) and Carib's leap or leapers hill where some local Caribs jumped to their death rather than surrendering to the French!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb