Baby, You’re a Firework


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean » El Salvador
November 22nd 2018
Published: March 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

My first night in El Salvador and I was chased around the cobblestone alleyways by youth wearing fireworks. This is a thing apparently. Luckily, I had a snoot full of rum, and can run fairly efficiently in flip flops. Me and all the townsfolk of Suchitoto were happily terrorized for hours by these teens mimicking Pamplona’s Running of the Bulls with exploding pyrotechnics strapped to their ba... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



They are everywhere you look.
Reenacting the WarReenacting the War
Reenacting the War

With the amount of fireworks we had, we could have blown up most of El Salvador
La Libertad PierLa Libertad Pier
La Libertad Pier

They kill and eat just about everything. I was sad to see this sting ray being dismantled
Whil away the midday heatWhil away the midday heat
Whil away the midday heat

So very hot in Suchitoto. Stifling, even in late November.
Las AlemendrasLas Alemendras
Las Alemendras

The blissful pool
Crazy BullsCrazy Bulls
Crazy Bulls

The townspeople get out of the way for the running of the bulls


My German companion during my lake adventure



6th March 2019

Hi Andrea, loved the blog as usual. You've certainly whet our appetites for El Salvador... Hoping it'll be our Central American India/Bolivia. The fireworks were inspired. Shame re the old haunt, but revisits way down the line nearly always disappoint. Intrigued as to your new country with "brown eyes". We dashed through Belize (which was a shame as it did have a great vibe, but was simply out of our budget) and arrived in Guatemala yesterday where we are already feeling at home. Continue to enjoy. All the best A&A.
8th March 2019

Sounds like you are doing Central America at a more leisurely pace, so enjoy Guatemala first!
7th March 2019

The more I thought about this blog, the more I found it fascinating. Especially interesting were the interactions you had with locals, and in particular when you visited the women's cooperative and you said you came to understand their tough but strong character. You revealed a lot about yourself too. Your blog is sharp and edgy and I felt as though I was reading a novel rather than a travel piece -- I really liked it!!
8th March 2019

Well, thanks so much. I do travel to learn things about this world and myself.
7th March 2019

Ah... you and those brown eyes
Beginning to think the two of you are a bit of a thing. Laughed at all the intrigued surrounding your fireworks. Glad the blast was enjoyed by all. Those dang millennials can learn how to travel from you! Loved women power. You always set the example. Never go backwards... keep the precious memory. Glad you caught your wave. You slapped time in the face for a moment. Travel on.
8th March 2019

Thank you Binkleys! This has been fun reminiscing my last trip to Central America and I have loved seeing things that I missed the first time around. Added bonus making new memories with a good friend.
8th March 2019

Time and the art of returning
'Going back' is a dangerous game... but only if you have high expectations. I like your approach of living in the moment, because however hard we try we can never re-create a past happiness, but can certainly create a new/different happiness. I totally share your love of rum, and Brown Eye's love of papusas - especially when filled with cheese! :)
8th March 2019

I wondered who enjoys all these Pupusas! Now I know, it’s you and my Brown Eyes.
8th March 2019
El Tunco

El Tunco
Spectacular, Andrea
9th March 2019
El Tunco

Thanks Dave! El Tunco actually seemed surreal when the sun set. Just like years ago.
8th March 2019
Stop the Violence against Women

Stop the violence against women
I have posted this in our 'Signs, Signs & more Signs' thread in the Photography Forum. The message is so dramatically portrayed. I have also posted some of your fabulous pics in the 'Streetscapes' thread. Check 'em out, Andrea.
9th March 2019
Stop the Violence against Women

Didn’t realize we had these categories! thanks!
9th March 2019
Hexagon Waterfalls

I passed a border once myself having a roll of cash that I might or might not be allowed to bring out of the country. I was told it was illegal to bring the local currency out of the country so I hid it at best I could. The customs officer looked through my entire bag. Every little thing I carried he opened and examined. The only place he missed was the little space where I hid the money. I can't remember how nervous I was. I don't think it would have been a problem but I don't know. By the way, I think Giant's Causeway is vertical too. It's just that you only see the top of the pillars there where as you here see more. /Ake
16th March 2019

Reminiscing
Ah, it must have been thought-provoking and emotional to visit a former travel hangout again after time had moved on. I see myself doing the same at some point soon. Love the fireworks, and your border-crossing with them...! It seems like it was well worth it in the end ?
13th April 2019

It was a blast! yuk yuk! Hey All travel is worth it in the end. I can't get enough, even if I've been there before. Where's next for you Alex?
14th April 2019

Travel
Indeed, travelling is rather more-ish! Funny you should ask, I am currently in your mother country of Canada! Having a lovely time here, visiting my family near Toronto. Just got back from a few days on the shores of Lake Huron. I plan to write up a blog entry on my time there, hopefully next week when I'm back home. Loving your country though, and the super-friendly people, eh!
14th April 2019

So glad you are enjoying my country! It is pretty great. But Sorry eh, it’s still a little cold. Over here on the best side, Vancouver. It is warmer! Not quite enough though, I’m headed for Mexico tomorrow to warm up a bit.
14th April 2019

Mexico!
Yay, great to hear you're off again soon - look forward to hopefully reading more of your fantastic travel blogs from there! No worries about the weather, I'm enjoying experiencing all four seasons in my week here!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb