To the Beach


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Taking the scenic HWY 2 we cruised along the El Salvadorian coast, passing farms and towns scattered along the semi mountainous jungle landscape. The fresh smell of post rain fills the air. We stopped in the town of Sunzal which is said to have one of the longest point breaks in Central America and checked in to a cheap hotel with a pool and use of their kitchen. After taking a dip in the pool to cool off, we put a pot of soup on the burner then went to check out town. The sun was setting so we watched the waves but waited till morning to surf.

Up at 6:00am we ate some left over soup, then hit the waves. It was a long paddle out and my arms were out of shape from a month and a half of being inland. The waves were good but a little crowded. After surfing we checked out a fancy beach front resort that overlooked the break. It was really nice but way out of our budget ($130 per night). We relaxed and read for a while before going back out for an evening surf session.

The next morning I decided to pass on surfing and give my arms a rest. During the day, we walked to the next town over, Tunco, that has one of the best left breaks in El Salvador. Trying to find the beach we sorta got lost in the back streets and rather than go back out to the road, we walked along the river, assuming it would eventually lead to the ocean. The small trail along the river was really muddy and at one point I sank into my shins. We eventually made it to the ocean, found a nice beach side restaurant, sat ourselves on the second floor with a good view of the waves, ordered some coffees and played the cards. As the morning turned into day, the coffees turned into beers and we ordered some hamburgers and fries. Occasionally a mariachi band would come upstairs and play a song trying to get tips. We ended up staying for several hours enjoying the atmosphere until it was time for another surf session. We surfed until the sun set then retired to our hotel and watched some movies and ate dinner.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb