Feeling hot hot hot.....


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aaaaah, here were are in El Salvador. I have dashed into the little info hut to escape the outside heat!! Wow, it is cooking today in Suchitoto. OK, this is another place to add to that list of places I have fallen in love with. Ya know those spots that you just connect with as soon as you arrive. As we drove into this tiny town yesterday afternoon I just knew that we would enjoy our time here. The drive down from Honduras was amazing, and in my opinion it was the most beautiful scenery yet on this trip. Between Santa Rose de Copan in southwest Honduras to Suchitoto here in northwest El Sal... you drive through a hilly lush and undeveloped corner of Central America. Wow.. what a drive. The rain came and went... we changed vehicles at the border ... passport control came to the car window.... so all was painless.

Suchitoto has a great little square.. facing the main cathedral of course. Our little hotel with just 6 rooms is on the opposite side of the square... and so our balcony hangs over the square. This is holiday time in El Sal.. so everyone is enjoying time off and chilling. The square was packed with people when we arrived... a small sqaure filled with food vendors / market stalls / families / music.... it was a great welcome party for us. Luca was asleep upon arrival... so we took turns going out and enjoying the fun... and then woke him at 6pm. One of those occasions where we just managed to be here at a great time... by pure chance. The hotel ' La Puerta do Suchitoto is a gem... and even though it is one of the cheapest places we are staying on this trip... it is probably one of the nicest with its character and charm.

Took a 2 hour boat trip this morning on the adjacent lake... Lago Suchitlan? Just hired a boat locally... with a driver / guide (spanish only of course). Lots of birds.. great scenery. Though, no swimming opportunities as the lake is man-made and has been chosen as the dumping ground for all sewage from San Salvador. No bad smell... thank god. But, the affluence of bird life is partly due i guess to the proliferation of sewage.. and therefore the lack of nearby development.

Wandered the streets... had a light lunch... cold drinks. Family has retreated to the a/c for a bit... and so will i shortly. Though, Luca ordered me to return with nacho chips... so i have some shopping to do first. No photos today... sorry... seem to have lost my cable to connecting to the pc. Will find one tomorrow in San Salvador.. and then will be up and running again. Well, gonna go and make the most of the rest of our day here... as we depart tomorrow. So glad that we allotted 2 nights for this little gem of a town. One of those little secrets.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb