Salvador - San Salvador


Advertisement
Published: October 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We weren’t sure if we wanted to go to El Salvador. We had heard numerous stories about the sometimes dangerous political climate. Our friend Cedric from Switzerland, who we had met up with for the third time convinced us to join him to meet his old University mate Ronlando in San Salvador.

The three of us took a bus to San Salvador arriving at night, and were told to wait inside the station as it was very dangerous around that neighborhood. When we arrived, the bus area was caged in with numerous security guards armed with automatic rifles. We went on to the main entrance where we waited for Rolando. While waiting Katharine witnessed a store keeper load her handgun and conceal extra bullets in her belt.

It was a relief when Rolando eventually showed up. He took us around to find a budget hotel which proved to be difficult in the areas he felt comfortable leaving us in. After sometime we found the Casa Blanca right across the street from the Radisson and the World Trade Centre. We negotiated for the most basic room with a shared bathroom for $20 USD.

Later that night Rolando took us up the mountain to a restaurant with a beautiful view of the City. We enjoyed Puposas (2 tortilas stuffed with cheese and beans toped with pickles) and watched live salsa music and dancing.

The following morning we went for breakfast at the World Trade Centre, were Liam had divorced eggs (2 kinds of sauces) and Katharine had her usual fruit plate with granola and yogurt.

Rolando and Cedric picked us up and we drove through the city, sight seeing while the rain poured down by the bucket load. We continued our tour to a volcanic look out for some coffee and local food.

That night we went to the seaside for dinner and enjoyed delicious ceviches (fresh fish marinated in lime juice - served cold and raw) and other seafood.

The next morning we slept in and went to the same place for breakfast. Went to Rolando’s house and met his friendly and smelly rottweiller watch dog. Rolando told us stories of when he was a kid the guerillas were fighting the military right outside his house. His brother even got shot at. His dad worked for the government so they had to have an armored car and 2 armed security guards.

Later that afternoon we went to meet Antonio’s (Liam’s Salvadorian friend from Vancouver) brother and his family. It was a great experience to meet more local people and further discover the culture. They were very welcoming and even sent us off with some scrumptious quesadilla (sweet cake made with cheese). Cedric wanted to watch Federer win the US Open so we went to TGIF Fridays and enjoyed some American cuisine, while Katharine got her hair trimmed for a fiver.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb