Cruise - Dominica Republic, Catalina Island


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

17thDec



After a day at sea we arrived at Catalina Island (just off Dominica Republic). We arrived early in the morning and it was still dark as I watched us anchor. Gradually as the dawn broke, we could make out the island. A very low, flat island, with beautiful beaches. We watched the crew unloading tonnes of food and bbq equipment for our lunch ashore. They started as soon as it got light. I wasn’t too keen to go ashore with 2000 other passengers, and so we waited until after the mad rush and headed in around 10:00am with John and Jill. Here I was pleasantly surprised. Although there were many passengers ashore, we didn’t feel too crowded. First we went for a walk to the north of the island and then, Phil and I went as far as we could south (not very far as the beach is sectioned off, and cruise ship passengers couldn’t go past a certain point. ON our return, we found a shady spot on lounge chairs under a coconut tree away from the crowds and settled back to watch. J&J soon found us, and then Jill and I went for a swim. It was cooler to get in, but I was determined to swim when I could. We soon got used to the water – it was crystal clear and beautiful! After our swim it was time for a bbq lunch. Surprisingly, the queue for lunch wasn’t long and soon we were sitting back on our lounge chairs munching on bbq meat and salads. It was an amazing spread, but then I’d seen them taking sooo much food off the ship, so it wasn’t surprising. I can’t believe they go to so much trouble for a short stop. Had to take so much off the ship, ferry everyone on and off all day, set up lounge chairs and umbrellas and do all the cooking ashore. I’m glad they did it though as we had a great, relaxing day. Loved it!! Departed 1700 and went around to the mainland – La Romana, tied up on the dock by 1800. After dinner Phil and I went ashore for an explore through the ‘port area’. This is a purpose built area with little shops, stalls and duty free. Also cafés and bars with wifi. YAY.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb