Dominican Republic


Advertisement
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Boy with iguana 14 secs
Making friendsMaking friendsMaking friends

Boy with iguana - Dominican Republic.
We are about to step into one of the poorest countries in the Caribbean, if not the world, and we are advised not to eat or drink anything ashore.

The brochure says:" If its untouched Caribbean you're after, look no further." Yes it is extremely beautiful and the people very friendly but one can't help feeling uncomfortable confronted by such poverty having just left our luxury cruise liner.

We swim in the El Limon waterfall. To get to it we have to navigate a tricky path followed by some giant stepping-stones. One over-endowed woman cant make the jump across and sits down on a stone thus blocking the way for the rest of us. We have to navigate around her. No matter we all make it in the end and the water is refreshing after the tropical heat.

In a nearby village the locals provide us with fresh fruit carefully cut up into slices. Do we risk offending our hosts and refuse on grounds of hygiene? no, we swallow and congratulate ourselves for having packed the immodium. Just incase...

This is where the Barcardi Rum advert was filmed. There is something deeply ironic about a luxury product
SamanaSamanaSamana

Grabbed yet again by the ship's photographer.
being filmed on one of the poorest islands in the world. Makes you want to join Castro's revolution even if Cuba is in a time warp.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb