Caribbean Cruise - Dominica


Advertisement
Dominica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Dominica
December 13th 2014
Published: December 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DOMINICA

Ok we must be mad! Got up at 06.15am to do an hours walking around the deck and more importantly to try and spot the whales that live three miles off the coast of Dominica! Totally unsuccessful!! Not even a dolphin that apparently half of the cruise ship passengers appear to see on a regular basis!! Ah well!! We did, however, spot Jewel of the Seas heading towards Roseau!

Now, coincidentally, a few days before we left UK, it transpired that Peter and Wendy, Chris’ cousin from the US were cruising the Caribbean the same time as us and that both our ships were in Dominica on the same day so we had the opportunity to meet up with them!

Walked the mile or so to Cafe Coco Rico where we had arranged to meet and then had a pleasant stroll up to the Botanical gardens where we looked at the various plants before heading off to do ‘Jacks Walk’! Unfortunately, Wendy wasn’t able to do the walk as she is nursing a broken ankle and needs to rest it up so she escaped the arduous climb through the woods, up to the viewpoint. Walked back down again and past a squashed bus that had been left in the park after a tree fell on it during a hurricane and then back into town, said our goodbyes, and managed to secure a taxi (eventually!!) at a reasonable price to take us to the south of the island.

A really interesting trip, passing an old fort and the government buildings before following the coast road past Loubiere and through Pte Michel (where our taxi driver was from) and then past the Champagne Reef with its hoards of visitors. Drove into Soufriere where we were shown the old lime factory and then onto Scotts Head Marine Reserve.

From here we walked across the causeway and a ten minute walk took us to the canon gun at Fort Cachacrou and then followed the steps and pathway to the top of Scotts Head for fantastic views of the coast and the island.

Picked up another couple from our ship who were waiting for a bus and drove back to Soufriere where we stopped to look at the church with a really unusual interior! Our taxi driver also took us down to the beach where a section had been cordoned off and hot water springs were coming through the sand to make a hot water sea bath!!! With a few pelicans flying around overhead it made for a very pleasant afternoon!

Drove back, via the sulphur springs to Roseau and got dropped by a cafe with reggae music offering three bottles of cold beer for $5 and free wifi! Finished the day off quite nicely!!



Had a quick look for whales and dolphins again as the sun set...still no luck!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb