Dominica Study Abroad - Day 14


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Freshwater LakeFreshwater LakeFreshwater Lake

First stop on our way to Boeri Lake.
Clem picked us up at 8:30 this morning and we went on about an hour’s drive to Freshwater Lake. The drive was amazing because we reached 2000 ft. in elevation and had great views of the island. Dr. Lacher pointed out the peak we will be climbing on Wednesday to reach Boiling Lake.
We walked around Freshwater Lake for awhile before beginning our hike to Boeri Lake. The hike was pretty treacherous - the rocks were very slippery and the climb was pretty steep. It lasted about 45 min. and we finally reached Boeri Lake. The type of vegetation there was mountainous - we were at roughly 2800 ft. above sea level. There were several melastomes around Freshwater Lake ranging in sizes - one melastome was so small that we could not see the distinct venations on the leaf. Boeri Lake is a freshwater lake surrounded by the elfin rainforest, it was about 180 ft.
The places we went to today were gorgeous. As Dr. Lacher pointed out, the green mountains looked like the set of the Lord of the Rings movies. It rained for a majority of the time we were hiking and since I was already soaking wet, I
Boeri LakeBoeri LakeBoeri Lake

Really cool lake, both literally and figuratively. Clouds would float past every now and then. Very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings.
went into Boeri Lake. The water was freezing, but it was still a fun experience.
We returned to ATREC at 2 pm and I worked on the group/individual results for the rest of the day.

N.B.: Again, I did not post yesterday's entry, since all I did was work on my projects. I'll probably keep doing so, since towards the end of the trip, we spent more and more time revising our papers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb