Dominica


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

St Pierre – Roseau (Dominica) 36nm



quite rolly in the anchorage last night, left early in the morning 0630, but had to pull up our anchor by hand as the anchor winch really isn't working anymore. Arrived Roseau and were welcomed by a very nice boat boy. We took up a mooring right out the front of the Anchorage Hotel. Walked into town to clear in and got a very good feeling about the town. There are lots of markets set up for the cruise ships that come in on a regular basis. Clearing in was easy. Just have to clear with customs, and not immigration. We weren't sure of that so trudged up to immigration and after a short wait, were confirmed that they didn't want to stamp our passports and we were in fact legal!! OK, no passport stamp again. None for Martinique either. Had dinner ashore, but not at the anchorage hotel as their kitchen was closed for the night as it was being 'cleaned out'. So went next door. Had a beautiful cocktail and a nice pizza. Could've stayed here longer, but have arranged for bbq on Hester tomorrow night so want to get up to Portsmouth. Apparently here you don't order 'mountain chicken' as it's actually a very large toad found in the mountains. Ahh, the cultures we're visiting



5th April

Roseau – Prince Rupert Bay (Portsmouth, Dominica) 18nm Short sail up to Portsmouth and once again got a mooring. We described Hester to the boat boy and asked him to check if there was a mooring close to them. Sure enough there was one just next door (so to speak) and Mikaio were anchored not far away either. The boat boy was called Albert and we arranged with him for a tour of the Indian river for the next day as well. Moorings at both Roseau and here were only 25EC a night. Hester came over and asked if they could get some beer to put in our fridge. They don't even have one on board. BBQ on Hester with Mikaio and also Swallow (Vicky and Elliot from Wales – friends of Hester). A great night, lots of chatting and laughing. Really great company!!!

6th After a slow start in the morning Albert came to collect us at 10am. He apologised that he also was now going to take some more people from another boat as the guy that was going to take them couldn't any more. No problems. Ended up being the people from Carousel and we wanted to met them anyway as we'd seen them in Roseau and they gave us a big wave when we left. AS it turns out, they're from the UK and their son is sailing on Proteaus (an oyster we sailed in company with from Durban) and they have a guy with them at the moment from Newcastle in Oz. He was very happy to meet some other Aussies. The tour was amazing. The indian river is called the little amazon. Never seen the amazon, but this was beautiful. Went up the river for about an hour. Albert had to paddle as no outboards are allowed to be used and it was probably too shallow for most of the time anyway. Pirates of the Caribbean was also filmed here, the river scenes and the witch's house. Albert was telling us about all the fog machines used to make it look spooky. We got up to a bush bar where we all got out and could walk further up the river if we wanted – but it was too shallow for any boats. Then had a drink at the bar (mango smoothie for me, banana for Phil) and then Albert paddled us back. The whole tour took 4hrs. Back at boat by 2pm. We went ashore for an explore and then Swallow came for sundowners and stayed well into the night just chatting. A very lovely evening!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb