The Road to Cayo Santa Maria


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
March 19th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.6481, -79.0214

Checked out after breakfast as today we are moving across to the other side of the island to an all inclusive beach resort for our final leg. We stopped for petrol - it took a while to work out the pump system but soon on our way having asked another driver who happened to be one of the few Brits we've encountered. The downloaded Sat nav was invaluable when navigating some of the towns but actually the signposts to the next main town on our route were OK. The landscape was mainly flat with mountains in the distance, lots of fruit trees and farm land and locals outside their homes selling fruit, meat or drinks. The villages were buzzing with men on bikes (apart from children we've never seen women riding bikes) or in their horse and trap carrying all sorts from horse hay to bottled water.

On approaching the Cayes we were stopped at a checkpoint by the authorities who inspected our passports. We passed the entry criteria (tourists) and then drove 40kms along a causeway (built in the 80's over a 10 year period) to the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria. The porter met us in the car park and took our bags. Reception greeted us with a much appreciated cold flannel and a glass of Prosecco. On looking out over the pool area we felt we'd landed in paradise, such a contrast to Trinidad. Our Butler, Mario introduced himself and gave us a guided tour of the resort including the beach and our room.

We had a shower and explored on our own. The pool area is surrounded by sun beds. Pretty much all had beach towels on them where people were reserving them for later. We'd noted a lot of Germans on the resort!! We walked to a small market area adjacent to our complex which had souvenirs for sale, a few bars and a bowling alley, spa and gym. After dinner at 8pm we sat around, had a coffee and a cocktail before watching the entertainment. A bit of singing and some dancers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb