Havana City Tour - Old Town


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
March 12th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 23.1168, -82.3886

Breakfast was OK. A bit like a cross between a continental breakfast and an English one. Only Cuban style with lots of egg, rice, beans amongst other things.

The hotel is in a great position in the old part of town. It's quite alien from Basingstoke with people everywhere and buildings that have mostly seen better days. We waited for a guide that we'd booked to have our introduction to the city. Although Millie was late, she was brill. Full of info and really pleasant to be with. She led us around the four main historic squares taking about the building and history as well as giving us an insight into what it's like to live in Cuba. Although obviously less advantaged than us she was really happy and painted a good picture. A well trained guide! We visited Old Square, St Francis of Assisi Square, Armament Square and Cathedral Square. We were lucky to see the Sunday service in the Cathedral too.

A bit like Marrakech all of the interesting things and cool stuff is behind doors that you'd never think held such secrets. There was an old monestry turned into a hotel where the staff wore monks habits. Many buildings now art galleries, museums and restaurants. Although most of the buildings were pretty run down and needing money spending on them, they were really brill from an architectural perspective.

After our tour we wondered back to the hotel and read our books on the roof terrace whilst having a bit of lunch. We chatted for a while with an Austrian couple who were lured in to the hotel for a cocktail and cigar. We left them puffing away and went for a walk around the sea wall. The sea wall is famous for people hanging around in the evenings and weekends. After meandering around we found an avenue leading to the Park Central. The avenue had a wide walkway down the middle with local people hanging out, skateboarding, and what seemed like a dance school for kids of all ages.

I'd thought the old cars would be few and far between but they're everywhere. Some in better condition than others. There are also tuck tucks, and all manner of people offering taxi services.

We found the Iberostar hotel where we're to collect our hire car in a couple of days and then we walked back for a rest. We stayed in the room watch telly for the rest of the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb