Cultural Cuba - Trinidad, 2020 Monday January 13


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Crafts at the Casa de Abuelos Crafts at the Casa de Abuelos Crafts at the Casa de Abuelos

Community and communal support for seniors
Before leaving Cienfuegos, we visited a Seniors Centre. About twenty members greeted us by singing the national anthem, followed by the anthem for their Centre. Casa de Abuelos Reina is a non-residential centre that operates weekdays from 8:00 to 4:30. Members come on their own, usually walking because they live close-by. They must be over sixty and in good mental health to join, and they pay a token amount according to their pension income for three healthy meals daily. The building and staff are paid for by the state. Everyone is happy to come, because even if they live with their families, they would otherwise be alone all day. Here they chat and have programs similar to Seniors Centres in Calgary. Doctors, a psychologist and a gerontologist visit monthly, and a dentist annually. There are similar centres across the city and all over Cuba, even in rural areas. The well-being of seniors is important to the society. Some of the women make handicrafts, mostly knitted. I chose a little purse for a gift and made a donation.

Just outside of the city, Jardín Botánico de Cienfuegos is the oldest botanical garden in Cuba. Founded by the Atkins family in 1901
Broken Axe or Ironwood tree Broken Axe or Ironwood tree Broken Axe or Ironwood tree

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
as a sugar-cane research facility, it has grown into a collection of species from around the world. In the fresh air of the large park, Hilda guided us from one special tree to another, peppering her commentary with witticisms about the local names. For example, the Ironwood tree is also known as the “Mother-in-law flotation vest”, because the wood is so hard it sinks in water. (Mother-in-law jokes are very popular in Cuba.) The wood is also known as “Broken Axe” and was used to make the road in Havana outside the governor’s house to muffle the noise of horses' hooves. Because it is impervious to water, the road lasted 500 years, before recently being restored. Even more fascinating was the Cannonball tree whose delicate orchid-like flowers live only one day. A tangle of thin twisted branches and trunks support the tree’s large, hard fruit, which is indeed about the size of a cannonball. From the “Muffin Tree” hang fruit that strangely resemble bran muffins. The “Monkey Pot Tree” is quite similar, as both are relatives of the Brazil Nut Tree, except the fruit resemble small clay pots with lids. Inside the pods are about ten to fifteen nuts.
Adita Restaurant Adita Restaurant Adita Restaurant

Popular restaurant for lunch

In Trinidad's city centre we went for lunch in Adita, one of Trinidad’s favourite private-enterprise restaurants. Seated up on the second-floor balcony, we watched the buzz below as patrons rushed in and out. The specialty was thin-crust pizza, but I had seafood pasta with red sauce. The quantity of fish would have been enough for three good lunches!

Around the corner and down the street, we toured the Museo de Arquitectura Colonial, with a guide who spoke English as fast as Spanish. She was proud of the history of the city and its architecture. The building was the former home of a high Spanish official, thus, it had genuine colonial artifacts, spacious rooms and a generous layout around a garden courtyard. Like all the well-kept buildings in the city, it has been meticulously restored and well maintained since. The resources Cuba puts into restoration of its built infrastructure surprises me, considering the economic demands in a small island nation under heavy pressure from the US. Rescuing the buildings does create a more hopeful climate for citizens who are deeply patriotic and for tourists keen to see with history’s eyes.

Our next, slightly touristy stop was at El Alfarero
Colonial style sitting roomColonial style sitting roomColonial style sitting room

Museo de Arquitectura Colonial
Pottery. Several generations of the Santander family have run this business - making painted clay souvenirs and decorative items for homes. At the entrance a display of photographs honoured the family’s history, beside plaques commemorating Che Guevara. Daniel immediately took us to greet “Chichi”, a fourth-generation potter honoured in the town square for his craftsmanship. The sixth generation is now working in the business. Wandering through the workshop we saw a kiln open, ready for more items. We watched in admiration as various workers expertly shaped the clay, sanded the dried shapes with a few twists of the wrist, and quickly added colour and glaze. The display of finished products for sale was dazzling, especially the tall hanging spirals of little painted bells that delighted the eye and probably chimed in a breeze at home.
">View my video of the Pottery.

Leaving town behind, we drove some distance to Peninsula Ancon, where we were booked for two nights in “Memories”, an all-inclusive resort, the first of three being built in the area. This was the embodiment of my fear that Cuba had turned into a “sun-seekers’ paradise”, although it was fun for a short visit. We were together in one of numerous buildings full
Painter - quick, efficient workPainter - quick, efficient workPainter - quick, efficient work

El Alfarero Pottery
of standard hotel rooms. (Room safes were free, but none worked.) Even though our free time was brief, and despite the enticement of the beach, I needed a rest. I settled for getting myself a piña colada from a bar and walking in my sandals onto the sand, lounging while watching the sun set into the sea.

The ride to dinner stimulated my curiosity. Leaving the paved roads, the bus bumped along narrow dirt roads in a progress that completely baffled me. I took the opportunity to stare into people’s homes to try to understand how families live. The houses are apparently made of concrete-block, and each has a large front window more or less open to the street. Some windows were curtained but open, and some were shuttered, partly or fully closed. Occasionally, people were talking through the window. Individuals relaxed and watched TV, or chatted with each other, or meditated, or ate, or drank. Finally, I asked Daniel about the houses; he said that behind the main front room would be a corridor on one side leading to two or three small bedrooms, plus a bathroom in-between.

Suddenly we were at a large, well-established, open-format restaurant!
Fantasy sunsetFantasy sunsetFantasy sunset

Peninsula Ancon
We were shown to our table, and we could see the chefs preparing dinners in the open kitchen. They were all remarkably calm, slowly creating attractive and delicious dishes, particularly grilled pork, chicken and fish. The speciality here was shrimp, so I had shrimp and octopus cooked in oil and garlic. The octopus was cooked to exactly the right tenderness.

We returned in the dark, again along the rough dirt roads, into the old city’s cobblestone streets. There we walked up-hill on a wide cobblestone street to the Casa de la Trova, a dance club. Like many others, it opens only in the evening. Several bands play, one after the other until 2:00 a.m. or later. Locals come to dance salsa, as do people who attend salsa schools in the day time. A few professional dancers keep the action going by acting as partners, if necessary.

To enter we had to cross the tight, rectangular dance floor where couples were dancing to a seven-piece band playing quintessential Cuban sounds. The lead singer’s melodious baritone voice bathed us with the party atmosphere. We took a table in the front, to one side of a large group of friends who
Special: octopus and shrimp special Special: octopus and shrimp special Special: octopus and shrimp special

Mild, delicious flavour
turned out to be the salsa class, both single women and couples. They kept the dance floor moving. One of the professional dancers (very supple and smooth) asked Carolyn from our group to dance. She enjoyed her moment on the dance floor, and we all applauded. Then he asked Harriet, who declined. Then he asked me, and embolden by Carolyn’s dance, I accepted. He was very nice, but I could tell he didn’t think much of my sense of rhythm, and neither did I! The dance was slow paced – not sure if that helped or hindered. Anyway, I was smiling as the song ended, and I got my own moment of applause.
"> View my video at Casa de la Trova.

While we watched, we were served our one included drink, the Canchánchara, a special concoction of white rum, honey, lemon and water. My eye kept returning to a vivid painting directly across from us. As usual, I took a photo. After quite some time, I saw a tag near the bottom and looked through my zoom lens to see the painter’s name. The tag said “For Sale”. I had no sooner mentioned that to Harriet than the desire to buy the painting flooded my imagination.
Hot music on a warm nightHot music on a warm nightHot music on a warm night

Casa de la Trova
“Why not?”, asked my usually hesitant mind. In a giddy state, I asked Daniel if he could find out the price for me. He talked to the barman, who told him the price was on the back. First Daniel took down a different one in the same style, and I had to insist that I only like the larger one. Reluctantly, he reached over people sitting at a table underneath the artwork. The price was CUC200. I thought had enough in US dollars by using my emergency cash in the money pouch beneath my tshirt. I sat down to reach in and withdraw my cash. I had only US150, plus I had CUC20. Steven offered me CUC40. Much later, I realized I had reversed the exchange rate and had under-paid someone who deserved my support.

Only mildly concerned about US dollars (he undoubtedly knew the exchange rate), Daniel talked to the barman who phoned the artist. After a short wait, Alex Cepeda came – a dynamic wiry man who enthusiastically talked to Daniel, who eventually waved me over to the bar, bargain accepted. Completely giddy now, and cheered on by the grins of the others in our group, I
Judith with artist, Alex CepedaJudith with artist, Alex CepedaJudith with artist, Alex Cepeda

Better than my dreams!
asked for a photo of the artist, which he turned into a photo of us both with the painting. He disappeared briefly to take the painting off its stretcher and pack it in cardboard. By this time Daniel was motioning us all to leave. I paid the artist and got his card, both of us overflowing with good will.

When I tried to fit the painting into my suitcase, it wouldn’t go. Wondering about the eventual outcome, I picked off some of the tape to check the width of the painting. I realized then that the cardboard was spotted with grease. I finished the unwrapping and found that the rolled canvas would just fit in the suitcase on the diagonal, with some care to keep it cushioned on the bottom. I wrapped it in the bubble wrap and a spare pillowcase that I always carry.

View map of trip to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Strange succulents in the Crassulaceae family Strange succulents in the Crassulaceae family
Strange succulents in the Crassulaceae family

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Cashew flowers Cashew flowers
Cashew flowers

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Charichuela - reportedly tastes like lemon cotton candyCharichuela - reportedly tastes like lemon cotton candy
Charichuela - reportedly tastes like lemon cotton candy

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Houseplants in CanadaHouseplants in Canada
Houseplants in Canada

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Tall tree related to the BaobabTall tree related to the Baobab
Tall tree related to the Baobab

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Muffin Tree Muffin Tree
Muffin Tree

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Cannonball tree, with flower in inset photoCannonball tree, with flower in inset photo
Cannonball tree, with flower in inset photo

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Soaring bamboo Soaring bamboo
Soaring bamboo

Cienfuegos Botanical Garden
Trinidad StreetTrinidad Street
Trinidad Street

Busy at lunch time
Grill Grill
Grill

Top represents the Spanish crown
Decorative grillsDecorative grills
Decorative grills

Safe and open air
Very full serving of seafood linguini  Very full serving of seafood linguini
Very full serving of seafood linguini

Adita restaurant


24th February 2021

A full day
I'm super impressed with your tour company: They pack a lot into a day, and all of it worthwhile. What a delight to buy a painting from the artist - a much better choice than heavy pottery. although I loved that video. I was impressed with how deftly and quickly they each did their part, especially the addition of varnish/glaze with the bell on a spinning top. This is exactly the sort of thing I don't think to do - maybe I've not had enough repetitive hand work in my life . . .
24th February 2021

A full day
The potters were very efficient, and never looked hurried. Over six generations, the processes must have been honed to precision.

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 37; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb