Havana take II


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back in Havana!

This time we got to visit El Moro, a fortress built to protect the city from pirates. Also, we walked around the old city (La Haban Vieja), visiting various plazas and getting a good feel of the place.

Havana is definately more wealthy than the rest of Cuba. You can see it in the way people dress, the state of the buildings, etc. The rural areas have little exposure to tourism, so there is no way for those people to get their hands on the CUCs (the currency foreigners use). The city is massive and very crowded. The stereo-typical old cars cruise by slowly, reflecting the overall slow pace, also known as 'Cuban time' of the country.

We only had one full day in the city, which just wasn't enough. However, we did realise that we had been very lucky to have seen 'the real Cuba' over our two weeks of travel. This was thanks to our guide, Jubal, who took us to some places that were, perhaps, not part of the typical tourist itinerary. (A lot of the things we did were actually illegal in the country). It was also thanks to the home stays. Being inside people's homes, talking with them, laughing with them, gives you a sense of the way of life there.

There is a saying in Cuba: "nothing is easy in Cuba". At first, things feel a bit frustrating. But at some point, the place just gets under you skin and you develop a real affection for it.

Cuba is a very different place. Nothing like any of the countries I've visisted in South and Central America. I've only had a small taste and now I have a hunger to go back and see much more of the country.

So... if anyone wants to go, let me know!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th November 2008

I WILL I WILL!!!
Count me in for a trip to Cuba - been on my to do for years!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb